intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Fascinating post by Stian Søreng of Norway where he reverse-engineers the Amiga game Hollywood Poker Pro to rip an animated silhouette of a dancing girl... for his personal use. ;)

But not only does he successfully rip the animation, he actually improves upon its performance.
The original code is very slow, and leaves very little wiggle room for other routines. It spends anywhere between 60-100% CPU each frame rendering the graphics. I did some optimizations, such as using a few faster instructions, and double-buffering where the blitter clears one frame while the CPU renders in the next. I was able to get it down to 40-70% CPU which is good enough. I have plans to use this animation in an Amiga demo I will release later. I will also rip the music, but I'll save that for later...
Pretty far out!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 7:27 pm

I hacked an Amiga game a few months ago that I'm anxious to show off. Don't want to say too much about it because I want to show it off first... Problem is I'm trying to get a friend to play it while I'm playing it as a kind of race. Been hard to line things up right. Once I show it off though I'd love to get it out there for others to play. I think it actually makes the game more appealing to the average gamer VS the original. Other than just putting it on my own drop box or something I have no idea how to get it out there though, which sucks. I've seen hacks of games appear in the TOSIC collection and stuff... I'd love for it to somehow get in there but I have no idea how to go about it. Once I get the video done I'll do a write up on how I went about hacking it, it was a fun time.

Return to “Software”