intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 pm

If you move a file to Workbench 1.3 from the PC and it doesn't have an associated filename.info (icon) file, can you really not see it in Workbench? Or even a folder? You can only access the file(s) via Shell or 3rd party directory programs (like DirWork, DirOpus, etc.)?

That seems incredible to believe. I must be doing something wrong.

My workaround for folder creation has been to use an "Empty" folder found on the WB disk. Drag it wherever, then rename it. Otherwise, I can never see the folder from the Workbench side. There's probably a head-slapper easier way around it, but I don't see it.

In 3.1, you can move whatever you want over and there is a "Show Files" WB option you can use to make everything appear. Easy as pie. Right now, for me at least, it's like I have two separate file views. The workbench view, and the DirOpus (or Shell) view. It's a little schizophrenic.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Problem solved. In DirOpus, there is a button/command to "Make Icon" for any file you select. So, after transferring the files over and putting them where I wanted, I need to use DirOpus to assign icons to them so they would appear normally in Workbench.

Kind of surprising, but glad I got it working. Extra step but easy-peasy!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Indeed, files can not be seen in Workbench 1.3 and below unless they have an icon or you use the shell to list them. If you want to create a new folder you can do as described with directory opus or disk master. As I want to create a certain "look" with whatever folder I keep an empty folder with my default folder icon and then "duplicate" it. You didn't mention the duplicate thing in your question so I wanted to make sure you knew you could do that. If you drag it somewhere else you'll only have the one. Indeed, that's why there's an "empty" folder there, so you can duplicate it, rename it, and put it where you like. But for the most part you shall need to put the Amiga's multitasking to use. I nearly always have disk master running, a lot of the time the shell as well. Workbench is where you go to start the programs/games you love. You don't work in workbench... hahahha....

Seems like I should get finishing my power users video/article. I think I need to show you some of my special programs before you start missing the 1200 and desert me. :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:55 pm

You don't work in workbench... hahahha....
No, I know, but I was confused when I couldn't even see ADF files that I'd moved over to RAM. I was like, "huh? Where'd they go?" Then I moved over to DirOpus (which I seriously love) and there they were, staring right back at me with crossed arms, rolling their eyes.
Seems like I should get finishing my power users video/article. I think I need to show you some of my special programs before you start missing the 1200 and desert me.
Ha! I'm getting used to the new environment. I was very comfortable with 3.1, but the workarounds aren't that big of a deal once you understand what the lay of the land is. And DirOpus is freaking powerful. I have a version now for 3.1, too, but the one I'm using (version 4 I think) is kick ass.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:19 am

Have you tried disk master 2? That's always been the one I used, for some reason. Either because I was told it was better by someone else and/or newer... My only experience with directory opus is with the windows version, so you can deal with files on an adf in windows. I never particularly cared for that, though I'm sure it's better on the Amiga. I know I've seen screenshots of it... I can't put my finger on why I never tried it. I should really have both though.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:15 am

Have you tried disk master 2?
Early-2016 I bought an original copy of Disk Master off of Ebay. It wouldn't run on my 1200, unfortunately. To be honest, I'd forgotten about it because I wound up putting it on a shelf and had mentally filed it as a failed experiment. But now that I'm in 1.3 Land, I should try it again.

That being said, I'll be surprised if it has much more to offer than DirOpus. Might be fun to do a side-by-side comparison, though. I had DirOpus launch via Startup Sequence as a slim little toolbar, but I've since commented that out as the inaccurate clock drives me nuts.

On a side note. when I used DirOpus to make icons for my ADF files that I migrated over from the PC, it made them look like cute little composition books you might have used in school. I wonder what other icon variations it has stuffed up its sleeves?
FullSizeRender.jpg
ADF files get a handy composition book icon when the Make Icon command is used in DirOpus.

FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Some of the powerful and useful commands in very user-friendly DirOpus file manager.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg
Binder manual, and two versions of DirOpus for Amiga.

Incidentally, if you ever want to give DirOpus a spin, I bet I can make ADFs of the versions I have.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:30 pm

Yeah this confused me too after I had used 2.0 so long and years later went back to 1.3 on a 500. I couldn't find the menu option to show all files. Then I remembered you can't in 1.x. Commodore added that ability (with the nifty little hammer head icon) with 2.0.
That is a good tip for DOpus users. That comes in handy.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Since I use a hack of Magic WB, I hunt down 8 color icons in my spare time. But I hit the jackpot not too long ago. I've got several folders of folders and program icons to choose from; and ones that look great in NTSC medium res, which took me forever to find.

Regardless of using the MagicWB hack, I'll get the name of a program I use to "exchange" icons. Just a matter of clicking this program, clicking the icon you want to use, then clicking the icon of what you want replaced. I can't stand how install programs will throw in some weird looking folder compared to the rest, so perhaps you might find some use for it as well.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Shot 97 said:
I can't stand how install programs will throw in some weird looking folder compared to the rest, so perhaps you might find some use for it as well.
LOL oh my god, some of the icons are so ridiculous! Eye of the Beholder 2's icon is the size of a typical window.

Heimdall's icon is literally the height of Workbench! It's so obnoxious. :shock:

Yeah, I'd love to check that program out you're talking about.

rjd324

Posted Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:26 am

Last edited by rjd324 on Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Software”