Lorfarius
UK

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 am

We all use them to different degrees depending on which system we own... but what are peoples favorites/most recommended?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:34 am

Whew! This is a potentially huge topic, but I'll share my top 6 "bucket list" for using the Amiga these days utilitywise. To be clear, I'm an OS 1.3 die-hard, so keep that in mind.
  1. Directory Opus 4 - hands down my favorite file manager. I only just upgraded from 3 to 4 a few weeks ago and love it. Mine runs as a little strip along the top of my screen and displays my CPU usage, free memory and even the current time (as I've installed working clocks in most of my machines).
  2. 64 Door. This is a PETSCII capable terminal program that allows me to connect my Amiga to C64/128 BBSes. I do this nearly every night, as there are a couple that I've found that are very active and super cool. Way more fun and interesting than Facebook. :)
  3. Amiga Explorer from Cloanto. I use this on a near-weekly basis to move files back and forth with a PC via null modem cable
  4. HDInstTool. Since I'm in 1.3-land, this is a very useful and invaluable tool for hard drive management. I even got it to recognize a scsi2sd hard drive controller and disk. Love it!
  5. SysInfo, of course, for every time I make a change I can quickly tell the immediate impact it might have.
  6. This isn't really a utility - it's productivity software - but my favorite word processor is Word Perfect.
I created this list off the top of my head at work and will take a second look when I'm in front of my daily Amiga. But those are my most used (I realize they are extremely common).

I'd be curious what people's favorite mod player(s) are.

Lorfarius
UK

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:13 pm

intric8 wrote: [*]64 Door. This is a PETSCII capable terminal program that allows me to connect my Amiga to C64/128 BBSes. I do this nearly every night, as there are a couple that I've found that are very active and super cool. Way more fun and interesting than Facebook. :)
Which boards do you connect to?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:36 pm

Particles BBS is my main hangout. I originally hit it with my beloved breadbin C64 using Jim Drew's Wifi modem. But I've since migrated to my Amiga 1000 using Paul Rickards' awesome WiFi232 modem. Jim Drew is about to launch his own WiModem232 very soon, too, which looks simply awesome.

Particles is run on a C128D, and looks great in PETSCII but also works flawlessly in 80 column mode. Not to mention, I think the user experience that Particles offers is the most intuitive and clean out of any BBS I've hit.

I also hit Centronian about twice a week. It's much smaller, based out of Victoria BC, and run off a souped up C64. You really want to be in 40 column mode for Centronian so it's full-screen. Gorgeous.

I also very much enjoy pinging Surf Shop 1-2 times a month.

Just in the C64 world, there are so many. I'd be curious which are actually hosted on Amiga (and are active) these days.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:33 am

I've been looking around for 64door on Aminet, but to no avail. I have DOpus 4 and SysInfo already (since both are going to my A500 when my Wicher comes to me this Xmas, according to Amigastore's order info!), but I'd love to have 64door and a couple of other BBS terminal programs for both the 500 and for my 4000.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:53 am

I made 64 Door available for download here a while back.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:16 am

Thanks! :)

Return to “Software”