intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:59 am

One of the original and most popular articles on AmigaLove.com, "Transfer files from PC to Amiga using a Null Modem Cable" is a step-by-step process of how I personally move files back and forth between my classic Amiga machines and the rest of the world. Or, vice-versa, how I move ADFs I find out in the wild onto my Amiga machines.

I won't go into all of the details here, as that's what that post is all about. But I still get asked this question fairly regularly. So, I decided to create a short 15-minute video around this exact same topic. It rehashes what the post is about, and I go a step further and show how I quickly create a digital ADF from any original disk in my collection.

I hope this video helps fill in any of the gaps for folks that the post may have still left behind.
With a null modem cable and Amiga Explorer, I move files back and forth from a hard-drive equipped Amiga 2000 and a PC running Windows XP. I also explain how to create a digital ADF file from an original Amiga floppy disk, or how to take an ADF and put it on a blank floppy.
Attachments
2-screens.png
Side-by-side view of my Amiga Workbench desktop and my PC's Amiga Explorer view.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Excellent! Nice video too! This is the exact method I have used over the years when my A500 is on the desk.

If I am using my A1200, I usually use a CF card reader and a FAT formatted CF card to write ADFs back to floppy. But this is a great way, as you pointed out, to do backups and is super easy. Years ago I used 720kb PC formatted disks to transfer files with Amiga using PC0: installed as 2.x and above include that. The only problem with this method is some ADFs cannot be compressed enough to fit on a 720kb floppy.

Thanks for the write up, it looks great and this is still one of the easiest solutions. You can even make a boot disk that boots to a minimum system and colors so you can get the highest possible baud rate. I haven't tried it with serial replacement devices, like baud bandit. I wonder if that would allow 28k or even 56k vs 19200 or 9600?

Return to “Software”