intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:34 pm

WHDLoad isn’t a bad idea if all else fails. Looks like the WHDLoad version supports both PAL and NTSC

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm

intric8 wrote:WHDLoad isn’t a bad idea if all else fails. Looks like the WHDLoad version supports both PAL and NTSC
The thing with WHDload is that every game is HDD installable. Not only that, but compatibility issues due to fragmentation between Amiga models is a thing of the past.

And the images are readily available online!

http://www.whdownload.com/

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:40 pm

Yeah I have it on my A1200 - a fully-licensed version from a previous owner of the machine. It's a pretty great setup (and luckily I didn't have to set it up). It does fix a lot of bugs that were present in some of the titles that got rushed to market, that's for sure. I don't think it's a bad option by any stretch when all else fails. Also nice that the library is so deep. And at least in the games I've loaded up, all the psychedelic cractros were removed and you're just looking at the games (sometimes with trainers ...).

I will, however, typically seek out my original copies. It's nice to have trainers, etc. built into some games, but it's also cool IMO to see how some of these games shipped BITD. I think WHDLoad is a great option for some games, no doubt. Especially the really annoying games you couldn't copy nor install to HD.

Leigh - have you ever tried out WHDLoad? For arcade/shmups/platformer games, it often does solve a lot of issues. Totally depends on the title. of course.

Side note: I feel like when I first started looking into that scene, I was stunned to see so many titles fixed by a guy (IIRC) named Psygore. Made me wonder if that was all this guy did. Amazing body of work.

Actually, Bulletdust, didn't you mean this link? http://www.whdload.de/

leighb2282

Posted Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 pm

I'll have to look into WHDLoad, thanks guys!

Bulletdust

Posted Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:07 am

intric8 wrote:Yeah I have it on my A1200 - a fully-licensed version from a previous owner of the machine. It's a pretty great setup (and luckily I didn't have to set it up). It does fix a lot of bugs that were present in some of the titles that got rushed to market, that's for sure. I don't think it's a bad option by any stretch when all else fails. Also nice that the library is so deep. And at least in the games I've loaded up, all the psychedelic cractros were removed and you're just looking at the games (sometimes with trainers ...).

I will, however, typically seek out my original copies. It's nice to have trainers, etc. built into some games, but it's also cool IMO to see how some of these games shipped BITD. I think WHDLoad is a great option for some games, no doubt. Especially the really annoying games you couldn't copy nor install to HD.

Leigh - have you ever tried out WHDLoad? For arcade/shmups/platformer games, it often does solve a lot of issues. Totally depends on the title. of course.

Side note: I feel like when I first started looking into that scene, I was stunned to see so many titles fixed by a guy (IIRC) named Psygore. Made me wonder if that was all this guy did. Amazing body of work.

Actually, Bulletdust, didn't you mean this link? http://www.whdload.de/
I paid for a licensed copy of WHDload, it's actually free now.

Sorry, my link was meant to highlight the number of titles available under WHDload - I didn't even think of providing a link to the product itself - Cheers Intric8.

Another way to get a nice install of WHDload is to base the OS install on your hard drive on a ClassicWB image - That's what I did and my OS install is awesome, it even came with the iGame front end for WHDload!

http://classicwb.abime.net/

matburton

Posted Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:37 am

Hey, I'm late to this thread.

Out of interest is the installer that was lost an official one?
I wasn't aware that one existed and would love to track a copy of it down!
I'd be interested to know if it plays the intro and how much chip ram it needs.

As mentioned WHDLoad is awesome, and will play the intro and only need the stock 512kB chip ram but requires Kickstart 2+ (WHDLoad needs Kickstart 2.04+)

There is also an unofficial installer on aminet that only needs Kickstart 1.3 but needs 1MB of chip ram and won't play the intro.

leighb2282

Posted Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:32 pm

Yep! it was the official installer that came on disk 1, I was just dumb and what your meant to do is copy the installer to the location you wish to install TO, and THEN open up the installer, it will then copy the install files to that location.

This was before there was a default Workbench installer.
matburton wrote:Hey, I'm late to this thread.

Out of interest is the installer that was lost an official one?
I wasn't aware that one existed and would love to track a copy of it down!
I'd be interested to know if it plays the intro and how much chip ram it needs.

As mentioned WHDLoad is awesome, and will play the intro and only need the stock 512kB chip ram but requires Kickstart 2+ (WHDLoad needs Kickstart 2.04+)

There is also an unofficial installer on aminet that only needs Kickstart 1.3 but needs 1MB of chip ram and won't play the intro.

matburton

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:22 pm

OK I think there are no less than 5 HD installers for lemmings 2 :o
  1. The NTCS only official one. Works on Kickstart 1.3 but still needs 1MB of chip RAM. Plays intro I assume?
  2. The WHDLoad 1MB chip slave. WHDLoad requires Kickstart 2.04 or higher. Plays intro.
  3. The WHDLoad 512kB chip slave. Again Kickstart 2.04 or higher. Plays intro I assume.
  4. The lems2HD aminet package. Works with PAL and Kickstart 1.3. Needs 1MB chip RAM. No intro.
  5. An installer from "Studley's Hard Drive Installers" in the TOSEC collection. Works with PAL and Kickstart 1.3. Needs 1MB of chip RAM. Can play intro.
So for a HD install you need to have at least either 1MB of chip RAM or Kickstart 2.04+

Not sure why the WHDLoad package doesn't have a single slave which detects how much chip RAM the machine has rather than having two separate slaves, but hey.

I think I went a bit overboard here :lol:

matburton

Posted Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:57 pm

And for reference this was the contents of the "Hard Disk Install" script that deleted itself

Code: Select all

copy "Lemmings 2 Disk 1:Lemmings2.info" ""
copy "Lemmings 2 Disk 1:" Lemmings2 all
copy "Lemmings 2 Disk 2:" Lemmings2 all
copy "Lemmings 2 Disk 3:" Lemmings2 all

delete "Hard Disk Install"
delete "Hard Disk Install.info"

cd lemmings2

delete "Hard Disk Install"
delete "Hard Disk Install.info"
delete "Lemmings2.info"
rename Lemmings2icon HDLemmings2.info
rename L2introicon HDL2intro.info

copy iconx c:

wait 2
depack1
copy ram:Lemmings2 Lemmings2
delete ram:Lemmings2

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:26 am

I am a bit unsure but seem to recall an HD-HDF of Lem2 on the EAB fileserver. You could copy it's content to you HD.

Return to “Software”