PerspexSphinx

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:42 am

Hi,
I just thought I would ask a question, since everybody seems quite knowledgeable.
I’ve been using FS-UAE on Mac Sierra and I’ve noticed that whenever I save a file form the Emulator to a Mac partition I get extra stuff saved.
ie... if I make a icon from the Amiga side (from within FS-UAE) for an item on the Mac side like “folder.info” it also creates a file “folder.info.uaem”. Does anybody know how to stop either FS-UAE or Sierra from doing this, because if I move a lot of files a lot of extra stuff, that I don’t want, is created.
Hope that’s not too confusing.
Dosen’t seem to happen on my other computer running Snowleopard.
Thanks awfully if anyone can help.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:18 pm

Hey PerspexShinx

I asked Eric Gustafson (@Gustafson on Twitter) about your question. Here is what he said:
ill do some checking if there is a config option to get rid of that (worse case setup some kind of OSX smart folder action to delete them) .. but I know FS UAE does some weird kinda write caching with floppy disks where it will not alter the original ADF but write out the differences to some kind of alternate file (might be these uaem files).. I have to check, but I noticed it when I was developing my OSX ADF launcher tool for FS-UAE (to let you double click any adf and auto launch it in fs uae)
Doesn't sound like there is an out-of-the-box feature to turn that off. Possibly it was originally considered a 'feature'. But does sound pretty annoying. I don't think the development of FS-UAE is nearly at the same level as WinUAE, which is a real shame.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Eric looked and found something.

Apparently there is a config option.

from EAB:
FS-UAE uses these files to store file attributes and such iirc.
if you play whdloadgames in FS-UAE you might need these files on certain titles. if you play on a real amiga these files are not needed at all.

also each .ueam file is just a few bytes usually whopping 33 bytes.
so even with the entire whdload collection (games/demos/mags) the "wasted" space shouldn't be a big problem at all even on a 4gb hd .

also getting rid of them on the amiga shouldn't be a huge problem. just look for some kind of a script/program which is able to mass delete files with pre defined files e.g. *.uaem or something.
More from FrodeSolheim on his design choices here.

PerspexSphinx

Posted Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:59 am

Thanks for explanation and the links. I will maybe just keep the .ueam’s for games and err... important stuff or maybe try to turn off their creation with the uaem_write_flags config option. They don’t quite bother me as much now that I know there’s sort of a reason for them and they’er not using up much space.
Now of course I’m interested in the OSX ADF launcher tool, err... where can I find that?

Return to “Software”