intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:53 pm

Now, if I could find/alter 8 color icons and give that the old blue look, just with more colors, I'd be all for that.
That's the thing about Icon Master that I love. You can paint with 10 colors, even though it's technically only using 4. But using alternating pixel color tricks, 10 colors can be revealed.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 pm

If I was an artist and could make my own... It'd be a great program. Although when it comes to stuff like this, I probably could manage a drawer or two... As a kid I made my very own mouse cursor... I designed it after the ship from Star Flight. But even if I was awesome at this stuff, just in terms of time as well as recognizing the worth of all the great stuff that is already out there, I'd just like to modify stuff. I don't always think I can make them myself, but I always know I can make things more to my liking. Does this have a stretching tool? My other problem is that even if I were to bring the 8 color magic wb style stuff and convert it back to the old blue style... It's just, designed with that grey look in mind... Anytime I've tried to mess with the colors the stuff just looked terrible... I really think the only way the magic wb stuff will look good is with the grey look..

It would be a mighty effort to create all new WB 1.3 style icons that also have 8 colors. And I would love the 8 colors, not just tricks that give you alerted shades of the same 4 colors. 4 completely different colors.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:31 am

Does this have a stretching tool?
Icon Master does not. It has a Clone tool, which is very handy for creating quick duplicates of other things you have on the canvas (that's how I made my Lemmings more easily and quickly). But no scaling/stretching.

I looked into it in the past, and you can create icons in DeluxePaint. But it would be a total headache to do what you're wanting to do. Because you'd have to import the files (or more likely create from scratch). Then, you use an icon converter script to change the IFF to an icon (info) file. From there, due to the colors likely getting goofed, you could open them up in IM and fix things properly. But at that stage.. I mean I don't know. But at the same time, have really enjoyed using this kind of software and stepping away from games for a while. There such a vast sea to explore - as you know - outside of just gaming.

I may screw around icon creation with DP just to check it out. I'd love to import some imagery from stills taken from Flash Gordon for two of my drives. And go from there. A hard drive icon of Max Von Sydow's head as Ming? And if you click, his eyebrow raises menacingly? I mean come on now. :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:38 pm

I created a new 2-state icon for my RAM Drive last night. :) You can also see the SCSI Zip 100 Drive icon's 2-states as well. I hope to post/video about the Zip drive soon. Not only did I finally figure out how to make it work, but just this week I finally learned how to make it rock solid and dependable (it used to be extremely shaky and now I know why). More soon!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:58 am

Created an A2000 hard disk icon last night.
D4Ab45XUIAIlJX1.jpg
Here's what the desktop looks like now, altogether.
IMG_0648.jpg
My good friend Mattsoft asked me about the Flash Gordon them of some of my drives. It's because 1) I love the movie, but more importantly, 2) It's a Flash drive. :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon May 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Tonight I created a new 2-state WB 1.3 icon for Printers/Documents.

I like the way this one turned out - especially the very clear animation - not just some glow or whatever.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu May 23, 2019 12:30 pm

One more for the collection. It's about 90% done, but close enough to show (I have one more tweak I want to make).
This is an A3000 icon for Workbench 1.3 I created across two separate sessions. As usual, it has 2-states (2nd state is more subtle this time around).

It's really hard to capture the elegance - and even the profile - of the Amiga 3000. But I think this is pretty close. Once I apply my final tweak, I think it'll be good to go.
Attachments
D7RYeFfVsAAE5tc.jpg

walldog

Posted Fri May 31, 2019 5:11 pm

Hello.. I enjoyed the video of Icon Master.. I have an A500 running coffin OS. Yeah I put a vampire in my A500. I like the functionality it gives to old amiga and makes the 500 my main amiga again. That said I miss the old 1.3 4 color workbench. Is there a way to apply a wb 1.3 theme to coffin os? Or anyway to get wb 1.3 icons? I REALLY like the 1.3 icons in amiga love video.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 am

@walldog - I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with coffin OS (sounds creepy!). My icons I'm designing are specifically aimed at OS 1.3. They will still 'work' in 2.0+, but won't look nearly as good.

On that note, I've created yet another icon this week. This time for my A3000, to replace the default System1.3 icon that shows up on the desktop.

The original icon is just a black rectangle with "Amiga" and an orange checkmark. Since this is 1.3, I really wanted the iconic (pun intended) hand and disk. Dual-states, of course. =) I love it.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:28 am

I've finished one more icon this week, this time for my Games drawer. Worth noting that an icon for a Drawer is not equivalent to a Disk icon. If you drop a drawer icon on a disk icon, that icon will cease to function (you won't hurt anything really until you fix the icon).

So, I'll make 2 versions of this one since I know a lot of people have Games drives/partitions, and not just a drawer like I do.

This should be the last one I do for a while. I'm planning on packaging everything up soon and releasing the AmigaLove Icon Set 1.3 (a) for anyone that wants them. I'll probably put them here, and attempt to submit them to Aminet.

Return to “Software”