piper_flatline

Posted Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:43 pm

I have my Amiga 500 set up with a CRT monitor on a desk right beside my actual daily "work" desk. I'd like to keep it running during the day for visual ambience while I code/develop on my PC.

Any suggestions for super cool things to check out? I've tried some demos and such but nothing really grabs me quite yet that I want to see it running all day. I'm particularly into "computer-ish" type things like retro displays, cyberpunk, weird robotty kind of stuff, so anything along those lines would be wicked.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:06 pm

I remember running across several good screensavers back in the day, mostly found through fishing the FredFish disks or magazine cover disks. Unfortunately nothing I can point you to at the moment, as I haven't run into any of the old ones I had back then, and screensavers are a thing I haven't used in general since the 90's, preferring Windows based computers to simply turn off the monitor.

I suppose I would have some small use for it on my Amiga "if" there was a small memory background program running that could start it up after 10/15 minutes. There are "times" I've left my Amiga's monitor on for many hours. I suppose it would be nice to come back to it with a screensaver running, for looks anyway, I'm not afraid of burn, even using a CRT. 90% of the time I turn off the monitor manually when leaving the room, though, now that's some screensaving!

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:20 pm

One of the very first demos for the Amiga still impressed me.

I'm talking about the cat that walks and is flipped around on screen.

Gives me that feeling of 'the future is/was here'

Cheers,
McT

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:02 pm

+1 for good mega demos as there are plenty of things going on in those.

But if you want purely a screen saver, there are a few on Aminet. It has been years since I tried some of these out so you will probably have to experiment, but that's half the fun.

http://aminet.net/util/blank

Return to “Software”