intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:14 pm

I'm in the midst of working my way through Cannon Fodder for a new review in the Games Library right now. I have to admit that it's a game I'd heard mentioned a ton but never played back in the day.

Wow. Just, wow. What a gorgeous, fun little Amiga-first game by the badass Brits at Sensible Software back in 1993.

I hope to get the review up in the next 1-2 days. I finally see what all the commotion is/was about. There is some serious homage to Lemmings, as well as Commando in a weird yet beautiful way. The graphics are really tight and while I was initially bummed to see it was a mouse-driven game, after playing it fairly extensively I can't imagine not using a mouse. I mean, you could (I'm looking at you NES), but the mouse gives you that extra "oomph" of precision and speed a joystick or even gamepad would lack in a game like this. It even encouraged me to clean my mouse a bit.

I'm playing off my new A1200's original hard drive, which is quite noisy by today's standards. The game came pre-loaded with the WHDLoad version, which has a save feature. The original game came on 3 disks, although I'm not sure if you could save with those. What a drag if you couldn't!

In any case - good stuff. I'm sucked in!
Attachments
cannon-fodder-preview.jpg
Original Cannon Fodder for the Amiga. Produced and made for the Amiga platform before it got ported in a million different directions.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:25 am

Never been so much fun! - I think you need a dedicated save disk for the game and it bypasses the O/S so no hard drive install without cheating with WHDLoad :P haha

It's a fun one, slowly adds puzzle elements. Great sound effects. Shows what you can do with such small pixels.

DuhProject

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 7:21 am

This one is probably in my top 5 games on the Amiga. Hell, probably top three. I absolutely love it. Simple controls and loads of fun.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 am

Same here. This is one of those games that just hooks you and won't let go! And it's fairly lengthy with plenty of missions, so the experience will last for quite a while!

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Fri May 18, 2018 7:30 pm

what an original game and totally immersive action...I broke my first mouse button playing this game so much

Overmann

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Oh yes, absolutely brilliant game! Me and a couple of friends used to play it together, the mouse got passed when a squad died. Needless to say playtime was pretty short after about 10 levels in.

The second game is really just a standalone mission-pack. Not as good!

Kickstart Zero.OhNo!

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Between CF and Lemmings... Nothing else is needed. ;)

Bulletdust

Posted Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:38 pm

I've never actually played Cannon Fodder despite the fact I have it installed on the HDD of my A1200. Anyone have any links to good tutorials?

Return to “Games”