TenLeftFingers

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:47 am

I love the atmosphere and attention to detail with this game. But maybe it just isn't for me. I find that once I take the lift to the level where the generator needs to be shut down, I run out of:
  • Keys
  • Ammo
  • Life
Either before I get to it or during the 60 second return journey. Even with the map, I can't for the life of me figure out my way to or from either. I just sort of end up there :) The return journey can't be the same anyway because of those one-way passages.

Any tips to get better at it or should I just move on? :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:59 am

I'll be completely honest - I've never played this oft heralded classic.

I've always heard it was an audio/video demo on steroids but so brutally hard it wasn't any fun to actually play. I don't like to force myself to become an expert at a purposefully difficult "game" that leaves me feeling frustrated and pissed.

That being said, I've been thoroughly enjoying Gauntlet II via 2-player with my son. Alien Breed really does look a lot like it but with a sci-fi (Alien movie) twist instead of pure fantasy. And, to that end, Gauntlet II is a bit of a drag single-player. It's simply too hard with only one character and 2-player mode allows you to continue after dying, which makes the game a total thrill.

Does Alien Breed have a 2-player option? That'd be superb. Otherwise I think you will need to watch someone's long play to reveal some hidden secrets.

TenLeftFingers

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:26 am

Watching a longplay is a good idea. It does have a two player option but usually when I get time it's at short notice and it's just myself. When I meet with other gamers I keep forgetting :lol:

Gauntlet was so cool. I have great memories of playing with friends in school on the C64 :)

Edit: I've watched a one player longplay. They do a few things differently here. First of all, they seem to visit all parts of the map rather than the stealthy approach I was taking. This also helped them earn more cash so they could upgrade their weapon. Then they buy some extra door keys too.

So basically it seems part of the trick is to set up the map before starting the timer so all the doors are open.

mattsoft

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:02 pm

I've only played it with a trainer enabled. :?

TenLeftFingers

Posted Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:24 am

mattsoft wrote:I've only played it with a trainer enabled. :?
Yeah. I'm using infinite ammo at the moment since it's the least helpful option. Still haven't made it back to the lift haha :)

trydowave

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:39 am

it looks and sounds lovely and drips atmosphere but ive never understood the appeal of the game. I find the gameplay repetitive and irritating. Alienbreed 3d on the other hand, as long as you run it on an accelerated amiga, is actually a great game to play although i thought it looked crap at the time.

TenLeftFingers

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am

trydowave wrote:it looks and sounds lovely and drips atmosphere but ive never understood the appeal of the game. I find the gameplay repetitive and irritating. Alienbreed 3d on the other hand, as long as you run it on an accelerated amiga, is actually a great game to play although i thought it looked crap at the time.
I think I agree with you. It's overrated. I think some games are actually best played with trainers because of design problems. Although I'm still doing this as one player. Maybe it's just right in 2 player mode.

ptyerman
Worksop/ UK

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:42 am

With you on this one. I never played it long myself, I play a game to relax and have fun, not get agitated, stressed out and fed up. 2 player could be worth trying though, used to have a lot of fun with gauntlet II playing it with a mate, we never tried Alien Breed for some reason.

TenLeftFingers

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:38 am

ptyerman wrote:With you on this one. I never played it long myself, I play a game to relax and have fun, not get agitated, stressed out and fed up. 2 player could be worth trying though, used to have a lot of fun with gauntlet II playing it with a mate, we never tried Alien Breed for some reason.
It would be great if the trainer had an option for one hit kills or something like that. And yes, I play for enjoyment too and find a lot of retro games can be stressful if the aim is to complete them. What games do you prefer on Amiga ptyerman?

Overmann

Posted Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:17 pm

I've never liked the game. None of the games in the series, really. In fact I don't even agree that they're atmospheric. I was so surprised the first time I played one (tower assault was my first) and found that I just ran around and shot slow xenomorphs in boring gray rooms. The floor plans of those buildings are ridiculous by the way. :shock:

Return to “Games”