PhilsComputerLab

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Been putting this off for a while, but I want to get started with checking out the Amiga core of the Mist FPGA compatibility.

A bit daunting, there is so much to the Amiga, so to start off I want to keep it simple and focus on the Amiga 500. No AGA, HD files, just plain ADFs.

I guess I'm after some games that are worth checking out.

Great Amiga classics, like Lotus and Turrican. Not really after games that are better off played on other platforms, but really after the iconic games that everyone associated with the Amiga. Lemmings maybe, cannon fodder?

Also anything else worth checking out? I cover the basics like kickstart ROM, swapping joysticks, mouse, monitor options, scanlines, PAL/NTSC, memory options, loading ADFs, 4 floppy drives and so on...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:59 pm

That is not an easy question to answer. But since you're talking the 500, that at least trims some of the fat.

As you know, a ton of games on Amiga were Atari ST or DOS ports, or released for all three platforms simultaneously. Due to the Amiga's amazing audio/video, you can look for comparisons that are great on the platform. But if what you're looking for are games specifically written for Amiga as the primary platform then ported elsewhere, that greatly reduces your list.

For games like that, there are but a few.
Lemmings immediately comes to mind. Also Shadow of the Beast (1 is more of a tech demo, 2 is more a proper game - both are stupidly hard). Also, most Cinemaware games are worth a look even if the gameplay is often more like an interactive movie.

For games that were released across multiple platforms, Monkey Island and MI2 are always mentioned, even though they were ports, as well as Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Also World Circuit, Cannon Fodder, Dune 2 and Populous 2 (I like it).

I'm going to make a giant leap and assume you are in Australia - is that right? If so, you'll probably have a PAL Amiga? If that's the case the World Circuit game may feel slightly sluggish due to the differing frame rate. But it's still worth a look IMO.

People often rave about Syndicate, though to be honest I think Shadowrun on the SNES is far superior in theme, mood and gameplay.

If you're looking for platformers, you're best to stick with Nintendo/Sega. For that matter, RPGs rock on the SNES. But for "thinking games" (less arcade/platform) Amiga has a ton to offer. As you have read I'm in Infocom-land these days, so while I love the games they aren't unique to the Amiga.

PhilsComputerLab

Posted Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:57 pm

That gives me some ideas, thank you!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Tue May 03, 2016 12:13 pm

I wouldn't shy away from games that are considered better on other platforms. How much do you love the game? Personally I get any arcade game for any system I can find it for. Something like Bubble Bobble I have for the Amiga, CC4, DOS, NES, and Master System. They all are great games and they all have their own charm. If it's a nice and short game like that get it! Also, if you happen to love a game on your preferred system, like DOS in your case, then by all means play the Amiga version just so you can get a different experience. Just about every single DOS port to the Amiga is worth playing simply for the music, and yes, I have an MT-32! They're still worth playing on the Amiga no matter how much you love the MT-32, and most certainly for the vast majority of people who are stuck with Adlib/Sound Blaster.

I'm currently playing A Fairy Tale Adventure, one of the first open world action RPGs which is utterly beautiful in look and sound on the Amiga. An Amiga original from America that is never shown or heard correctly online. Might and Magic II looks best on the Amiga. The Genesis and SNES were ports of the Amiga version, which was a port from Apple II but completely redone for the Amiga. Might and Magic 3 is worth playing on the Amiga IF you like MM3. Games like Bard's Tale were utterly redone on the Amiga as was Pool of Radiance. Most of the gold box games look best and sound best on the Amiga.

Even a game like Wing Commander is 100% worth playing on the Amiga even if does run a little slow. That music is BETTER than the MT-32 in my opinion and although it was later ported to the Amiga CD32 with AGA 256 color graphics, identical to the PC version... It's identical to the PC version and is not worth playing IMO. I'd rather play it on DOS in that case... BUT with the tricks they did to put it on a standard Amiga 500 with it's lower graphics but still a thousand times better than EGA mode, that is a version worth playing.

Railroad Tycoon is best on the Amiga. Civilization is worth playing on the Amiga. Pirates! is best on the Amiga. I just wanted to throw out some of the games nobody mentions in the side scrolling European dominated Amiga scene. If you want those side scrollers taking a trip to one of those message boards would easily lead you to their top 10's and such. I would recommend the game Fire and Ice in the platforming world,. Hard as hell but so beautiful and the music is great. Pang is a good one. Marble Madness is worth having on the Amiga... Lost Dutchman Mine.... I don't know, I figure that's a good small A-Typical list for you!

PhilsComputerLab

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 3:13 pm

I've done all the recordings, can't add anything new at this stage :(

I didn't have Bubble Bobble, but Rainbow Island. I think that game exists on all sorts of computers :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 3:37 pm

@Shot I hadn't heard of "The Faery Tale Adventure" before, but you know me - I'm a game history nerd so I HAD to look it up.
In 1996, Computer Gaming World ranked it as the 63rd best game of all time. -- Wikipedia
Well, damn - the game was 9 years old by then, and to crack the top 100 seems incredible to me.

And...
At the time of its release, the game featured the largest game world yet (over 17,000 computer screens) with no loadings.
!!!
It sounds like the kind of game you could get sucked into for a couple of years, no lie. I love those kinds of games, although I'm partial to quirky Quest Software titles. I've actually connected with one of the creators of Legacy of the Ancients, Questron, etc. on LinkedIn - hope to interview him some day when I have a few spare moments. ;)
Like most MicroIllusions games, this game was first released on the Amiga and then ported to other systems.
I'll have to check it out!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 4:32 pm

My first review was a Micro Illusions game called Discovery, it was designed by the same person that did A Fairy Tale Adventure. Designed in every single way. Art/Music/Code. I have two videos on Discovery, one review and one full playthrough, that's how much that game got to me as a kid. My two videos are the only ones on the internet showing it correctly and playing the music correctly. For whatever reason the music to that game REALLY messes up if you don't have the setup correct. But a friend of mine requested A Fairy Tale Adventure awhile ago and since I had never heard of it either I had been dragging my ass around getting to it... But I finally did and wow... It's just amazing. I wish I would have had this game back then. I found a very good write up of the company here.

An interview done with the designer of A Fairy Tale Adventure about one of their music programs done on the Computer Chronicles PBS show here.

My very first review on Discovery Spelling.

My ONLY full playthrough which is of Discovery Math.

I'm thinking about doing my own look at that company in a video. I mean it's a little educational game but I can't tell you how much I loved that game as a little kid. If anyone ever talks about the Amiga's Voice it's just a quick look at the Workbench program called Say. They never look at the games, and we had quite a few, including non educational games like Earl Weaver Baseball. That's forever instilled inside of me as the voice of all computers. When I think of artificial intelligence, I think of that voice. And damn... A Fairy Tale Adventure... Thus far... Magical game and sadly not given it's due respect in the European dominated views these days. But there IS loading in that game. Maybe not in the overworld, but anytime you enter a house or dungeon or whatever, it can get a little annoying :P - and I wasn't able to install it on my hard drive so I'm stuck with the loading... AND it requires a separate save disk. Oh well. Still great. And so much better than what you see on YouTube with it's slow and distorted music and stretched visuals.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 4:55 pm

That's a bummer not being able to install it to HDD for such a massive game. Sounds like you need an external DD so you can have 2 going at the same time. ;)

The one thing about emulation that is nice, when you come across a game that won't install to DD, is that you can set up a bunch of disk drives to kind of fake it. You still have to wait for the same to load this and that, but at least you don't have to go through the physical motions (damn I sound lazy). The huge drawback, though, is the sound totally sucks. It's like it goes through a garbage disposal or paper shredder on the way to my ears. Horrible.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Not this one. Part of the reason the two games music screws up is because of a 2nd disk drive. There are other reasons too. They were pretty much thinking standard Amiga 1000 with those games. So... No fast memory, no extra disk drive, and NTSC. I do have a 2nd disk drive but again, must be disabled for both of those games if you want the music right.

In case anyone wants to check out the music, I made two little mixes myself for Discovery and The Fairy Tale Adventure. Both recorded straight from my Amiga 500.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 04, 2016 5:18 pm

Kind of an interesting blend of organ and harpsichord. I like how near the end it gets kind of grungy. How did you capture the music?

Return to “Games”