intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:49 pm

IMG_8033.jpg
Times of Lore is a pretty legendary game on the C64. It came out in 1988 and is a pretty breathtaking technical achievement. In many ways it reminds me a lot of a bridge between the 8-bit and 16-bit versions of Zelda.

It was designed by Chris Roberts, who later went on to create the Wing Commander games. Pretty fantastic pedigree right there.
IMG_8057.jpg
I never played it on the 64, but read about it plenty of times. Then, in early October my good buddy Mattsoft handed me a copy he'd picked up as a belated birthday present. The thing is MINT.

Honestly I don't think it's ever even been played. This is the kind of game that has to be played off a booted floppy, and saves go to a separate player disk.

It also comes with a paper full-color map, which is pretty cool. And you don't find solid white disks that often from back it the day.
IMG_8035.jpg
IMG_8034.jpg
This looks like one of those games I might go wandering around in for a month. But I'm eager to check it out soon.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:20 pm

One of my most favorite games of all time on the C64 when I was a kid. Never played it on the amiga. My brother and I played the hell out of it back in the 80s.

rpiguy9907

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:51 pm

I got this game after upgrading from an Amiga 500 to an Amiga 3000 and it would not boot on the Amiga 3000, either because of the ROM or the processor. I didn't know how to downgrade to a lower ROM or turn of Fast Ram back in those days, so I never got to play it.

Enjoy by all accounts it is a great game.

Return to “Games”