intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:56 am

Oh man I envy those skills.

RogerWilco486
Boyertown, PA USA

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:35 am

Hah... is it really skill though, or just a healthy Amiga 3000 obsession?

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:31 am

Just out of curiosity: How long did it take to transplant all of the components to the new PCB? And is the soldering heat an issue when working with those old components?

RogerWilco486
Boyertown, PA USA

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:54 am

I didn’t keep track but It was a long job, at least 3 weeks of working on it almost every night.

No issues with component failure though, besides needing to touch up a solder joint here or there and chasing down 4 megs of missing fast ram that ended up being a bug with the PCB itself, the transplant went relatively smooth.

dansalvato
Boise, ID

Posted Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:53 pm

That's amazing! How lucky for it to have the A2386SX - that's been one of my most desired parts, but they hardly ever show up. I'm also envious of those who successfully pull off a reproduction PCB project - I would love to do that one of these days, but I don't trust myself not to totally screw it up.

RogerWilco486
Boyertown, PA USA

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:22 am

Well I finally got around to fixing up the battery damage. Everything works perfectly with the exception of the 1-5pf trimmer used to adjust Amber's PLL. A new replacement is en-route, once that gets here I can finally get the system reassembled.

In the meantime, here are the before, during, and after pictures.
IMG_6523.jpeg
IMG_6773.jpeg
IMG_6775.jpeg
IMG_6776.jpeg

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:30 pm

Nice work! Another system saved. 👍

dalek
Australia

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:16 am

Wow - great cleanup job! You definitely gave that Amiga some Love :)

So jealous you essentially got a pregnant mouse for $100 with a free A3000 thrown in :lol: but hats off for saving it :)

RogerWilco486
Boyertown, PA USA

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:52 am

Thanks! The replacement trimmer cap came yesterday and the system is all reassembled and working sweet. I'm leaving the stock Kickstart v2.04 ROMs and 50-meg hard drive in it. Kinda neat to have a base model 16MHz 3000.

I also solved the OS issue it had with Workbench not finishing it's start up. As soon as I set the time and date, the issue simply went away!

Next up is repairing the 386 Bridge Board that came with this system. Maybe I'll start another thread for that...

Please forgive the poor lighting...
IMG_6788.jpg
IMG_6793.jpg

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:35 am

OK really quick. How many A3000's do you have? Or do you run a catch and release program? Find a sick one, get her all feeling better, then lower her back into the lake? Or is there a power drain in PA with this massive warehouse filled with unbridled A3000 power, visible from space?

Let me hang onto that dream for just a second.

Return to “Conquests”