intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:50 pm

One day to go until Christmas but Santa arrived at my house early today.

After having set up the Schema WiFi modem just a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to see what other options might be out there to keep my BBSing habit at maximum connectivity. When the Schema modem works it's freaking awesome. And it works most of the time. But the firmware (.12) is a little flaky at times and can cause the occasional frustration. If there's a more stable solution, I'd like to give it a try.

Jim Drew's WiModem for the C64 just arrived, and I can't wait to get it set up! It's a lot smaller than the Schema modem - probably one-third the size. Jim's been fantastic answering questions and wanting to help out (and even joined AmigaLove.com). We're thrilled to have him in this community, and I'm thrilled to get this new piece of kit up and running soon!

I need to get a case for it, too. :)
Attachments
wiModem.JPG
Jim Drew's WiModem fits in the palm of your hand

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:37 am

Oh wow! I don't think I realized that the modem you were showing off in the C64 BBS guide was not the same one Jim was talking about... I mean I suppose I should have, you mentioned issues on Particles... Whoops! I thought Jim was the one who made the modem in the original post. I love how small that thing is! Oh my god yessss! If he can get that thing working on the Amiga I'm all over it! - My only reservation before was the size of the modem you showed off in the guide... My Amiga has precious little real-estate behind it, and I can't stand the whole composite adapter people use to connect the Amiga to a TV... Because the thing thing is ugly and huge! While I loved your whole case idea for the other modem that thing just had too big of an ass for my liking. Got plenty of room behind my C64 - It's just ugly...

This thing? I mean a cover would be nice but even without one it's not bad looking at all! I assume it would work on both the C64 and VIC-20? That would be nice if I could just switch between the two of them... and yes... Amiga! Jim! - While I will advocate the use of a null modem cable and modem emulation on a PC in order for people to "wet their appetite/see if they're into it" - Once they figure they out...and I have... This thing looks perfect! Let me know how it works for ya!

Return to “Conquests”