intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Today I received J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol.1 game for Amiga by Interplay. I’ve been waiting for this for a while. It’s in very good condition and includes everything including a very nice map.

Funny: there was a mail-in contest card in the box that beckoned owners of the game to “Win Millions of Dollars in Fabulous Prizes” and some poor hapless kid mailed it in. I have the left-over piece of paper announcing the contest; the mailer has been removed and the perforated paper is still visible where it was torn off.

The game comes with 3 disks, a map and a manual. No copy protection is on-disk (ADFs are comin’ around the mountain!), and 1MB RAM is required as well as a blank disk, however there is a hard disk installation option, which takes up about 2MB of space.

The manual is over 80 pages long, is well illustrated and is printed on a very pleasing yellowish paper with brown ink. It’s really quite fascinating, as it spends an enormous amount of time on the story, characters and creatures in the game. It’s almost like a mini-book! Starting at page 50, the manual is filled with numbered paragraphs you are to read to enhance and supplement
the game. In other words, the manual is a must-have (paper or digital).

Looks pretty cool! And you can’t go wrong with the subject matter.

The back of the box is filled with accolades from the gaming press of yore, like:

“Interplay's newest role-player tackles the Tolkien trilogy with top-flight graphics, sound and a new play system that should make adventuring in Middle Earth more realistic than ever before." -Video Games & Computer Entertainment

"Resplendent graphics and loving attention to the Tolkien lore prove that in The Lord of the Rings, Interplay is out to forge one ring game to rule them all!" -Computer Gaming World

"The Tolkien estate finally made the right choice with Interplay." -Info Magazine

From the looks and sound of it, it's too bad they only ever made one volume. We'll be cracking it open to give it a full review later this year. The ring beckons!
Attachments
LotR-box.jpg
J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Vol. 1 for Amiga - front box cover

LotR-stuff.jpg
LotR box contents

Return to “Conquests”