McTrinsic

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 3:44 am

I was talking about the alternative driver 7.17 that came with a hardware-mod.
It is similar to the one on Aminet but not quite the same. Working almost flawlessly here - has a few hiccups regarding HDToolBox and HDInstTools.

But even 1mb/s feels slow sometimes ;) .

Cheers,
Erasmus

A10001986

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 3:49 am

1) Ah... I didn't get that. I never tried that. Funny, it originates from Austria as well... :)

Unfortunately there is no source code in the lha, so I can't seen whether or not they updated the version of Read/Write used.

2) I just remembered the third reason for axing the SCSI: It didn't work in connection with MKL's 8MB memory extension. Part of the reason being that the mkl device, while certainly handy, is pretty dumb and does not integrate in an auto config chain. It assumes it is the only (or at least first) auto config device in the system (ie it has config-in hard-connected with GND, and newer versions don't even have a config-in).

I tried to physically add it into the chain (for which the Phoenix offers suitable entry points, and the mkl board has a config-out signal), but it never worked. Yellow screen upon booting, period.

A10001986

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 4:00 am

McTrinsic wrote:
But even 1mb/s feels slow sometimes ;) .
Tell me about it. I lived with a 50MHz Stormbringer attached to the Phoenix for a year or so, with a 500k/sec hd. Slow does not even begin to describe it. Honestly the system felt relatively faster after removing the Stormbringer (piece of sh** card)...

Today, my Phoenix is unaccelerated with mkl's ide+ram68k, and feels pretty ok.

/Thomas

PS: McTrinsic, I just realized, you know all that, you are on a1k :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 9:15 am

I just remembered the third reason for axing the SCSI: It didn't work in connection with MKL's 8MB memory extension.
I've kept my SCSI controller going with a SCSI2SD card. Keeping below 1GB is no problem at all for me, personally. You can always pop in another card in theory and I haven't had issues with the space. Right now I'm running 256mb which feels, well, honestly it feels plenty big.

But yeah - I love the MKL RAM boards, but didn't realize what I was getting into in terms of the Phoenix using them. I never got that to work and didn't realize the SCSI was in the way. For now, I just leave the Phoenix at 2MB RAM and - for what I use the machine for - it's been fine. I'm at a point where I'm just about done tinkering with that machine. I almost don't want to breathe on it she's so finicky. Now that she's working I'm pretty happy.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed May 30, 2018 10:24 am

A10001986, I am aware that you're on a1k. However, I am glad you talk about the experience with your Phoenix.
A1k seems more like a showcase. ;)

Return to “Conquests”