intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 27, 2018 7:41 am

So this happened yesterday. All (everything) for just $100. Kind of stunning as I really wasn't needing another - I was mainly after the 1080. But I'm not complaining! After cleaning it all up, it's in fabulous shape for the most part.
DeJ5-YvV0AEQOD5.jpg
After using some Krud Kutter, I got this monitor and 1000 looking nearly new.

DeJ5-YwUQAAGgCx.jpg
The haul included a working and very clean A1000. The back panel on the machine is freaking orange, and the top case has some yellowing near the back, but most of the rest of the machine looks really good. It also came with a C= 1080 monitor, mint keyboard and cable, pile of books and some original software, and a bizarre PS2 conversion dongle + mouse. And, a box of disks.

And after using a cleaner on the monitor, it looks nearly brand new. I plugged it into my A2000 and the monitor easily has the best picture of all of my 1080s now. The color is rich and pure, and everything is very crisp with no ghosting.
DeKZjHmV4AA6J2l.jpg
Finally, there was a whiskey tin with a bunch of disks in it. They were mainly Workbench, Kickstart, copies of Textcraft and a stack of Seattle-based public domain software (actually some very cool stuff in there - I love PD software!).
pdDisks.jpg
And then, at the bottom of the tin... I unearthed:
doc-disjs.jpg
It was a really good day.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun May 27, 2018 8:08 am

Incredible!

Looks like your lucky day today.

Maybe should play lottery or something?

Have fun with it :).

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Sun May 27, 2018 8:23 am

Awesome! How much room do you have over there?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun May 27, 2018 8:24 am

@EzdineG - not enough!

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Sun May 27, 2018 8:27 am

This one going to your MKL boards? Now you can test the 1.3+scsi device :)

Hopefully you didn’t end up with one of the A1000 incompatible IDE68K firmwares (he’s provided a new version that needs to be flashed if you did..)

Doma

Posted Mon May 28, 2018 11:18 am

That monitor is a beauty!

primitivefunction

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 11:34 am

Wow, nice haul. And even a copy of Mind Walker! Definitely one of the most interesting and influential early Amiga games IMO. I was hunting for a copy for years and ended up paying quite a lot for one boxed in GC. It makes an excellent companion for the 1000 (even an unexpanded one as it only requires 256k to run).

A10001986

Posted Tue May 29, 2018 11:58 pm

I very nice machine indeed.

I never saw Mindwalker boxed... Over here (good ol' Eur... no, probably only the German speaking part) Mindwalker along with TextCraft, GrafiCraft and two Demo discs came included with the Amiga 1000, but not in such beautiful separate boxes. Instead, all disks were in one .. case or whatchamacallit.

TextCraft, BTW, came in its initial version (alas no "plus"), and was really am piece of ... Wonderfully animated mouse cursor, but ... no multitasking! You had to quit it to return to Workbench. And it crashed with anything other than 1.1.

primitivefunction

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:23 am

The Mindwalker packaging is really rather lovely. I couldn’t find any decent photos of it online so here is my copy:
MW_001.jpg
Sorry 1.0 users!

I remember seeing screenshots of it as a kid (before I even knew what an Amiga was) and thinking that it looked like something from the future. I just love the whole aesthetic and strangeness of it - the game supposedly takes place inside the human brain. It’s one of the few games that plays nice on all Amigas and has a terrific generative score. All done by the one guy - Bill Williams.
MW_002.jpg
Check out that manual with those beautiful full colour screenshots and illustrations. It would have been nice if Commodore had kept this up and released a whole suite of Amiga games in this style. Of course then I’d have to collect them all!
MW_003.jpg

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:44 am

If you don't find something like this online please consider to support HOL with a contribution :)

Return to “Conquests”