LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Today a nice little package arrived on my doorstop, thanks to forum member gregdonner: an Amiga 600, PAL version, in very pristine condition!
DfckAtwUwAIqG5-.jpg
Look at her! She's a beauty!

Included is a spare Kickstart 3.1 ROM, an IDE to CF adapter with a Workbench 3.1 card, a PCMCIA CF adapter with a spare CF card, and a nice shiny case badge which I will be adding to this Amiga once I clean the case a little!

I plugged in the Amiga and powered it on, and it came up after a few seconds to a Kickstart 3.1 ROM screen (with a Boing Ball, no less, too!)
amiga600-ks31.png
Not bad to have Kickstart 3.1, but I'm getting a ROM switcher!

I do need to get either another tank mouse, or I can make use of my Tom+ adapter and get another USB mouse to use on it. But I did test the rest of the system for now: sound output works, game port works, floppy drive works. I will be adding the IDE to CF adapter in during the week and will also try the PCMCIA slot to make sure that works as well. But I'm glad to have an Amiga 600 in my collection! The all-in-one Amigas are awesome little machines! Now I need an Amiga 1200 and I'm set! :D
MK-Amiga600.jpeg
The perfect way to test out a new Amiga! PREPARE FOR KOMBAT!

primitivefunction

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:11 am

Hadn’t seen that Boing Ball kickstart before. Very Cool.

Agreed that the 600 is an awesome machine. And it’s definitely the cutest Amiga :)

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:48 am

Nice machine!

Crack it open and have a look at the capacitors. If you see any dullness or green on their joints, get that thing recapped before it eats itself.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:56 am

EzdineG wrote:Nice machine!

Crack it open and have a look at the capacitors. If you see any dullness or green on their joints, get that thing recapped before it eats itself.
According to gregdonner, this machine was already recapped. But I will be opening it up to check inside soon as well! (Also gotta do so when I get some expansions for it!)

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:04 am

LambdaCalculus wrote:
EzdineG wrote:Nice machine!

According to gregdonner, this machine was already recapped. But I will be opening it up to check inside soon as well! (Also gotta do so when I get some expansions for it!)
Consider the Furia accelerator when you look to expand it. It is faster than many 030 accelerators, has enough RAM to do just about anything and can be picked up reasonably cheap from Loharek’s site.

I’ve got one in my A600 and would be glad to help if you have any questions.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:49 am

Definitely looking into a Furia! Also gonna get an A604n so I can have 2MB Chip RAM for a few games or demos that may call for it, as well as the RTC module for it so my Amiga 600 isn't trapped in 1978! :D

DuhProject

Posted Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:43 am

What a beautiful machine! Great find.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 pm

I've decided to downgrade the Kickstart ROM that was installed in the machine. I received it with Kickstart 3.1 installed; a newer version by Hyperion (labeled v40.72). Unfortunately, this was causing some issues with Workbench 3.1 and a demo I tried using (the Avenger Megademo) stuck its nose up at it. So I popped in a Kickstart v40.63 ROM I got with the machine. That did the trick! :)

My next step is to get an A604n so I can have 2MB Chip RAM. Workbench 3.1 is a wee bit tight with only 1MB.

(Sorry, gotta blot the serial numbers out!)
a600-ks-change1.jpg
Out with the new...

a600-ks-change2.jpg
In with the tried and true!

a600-ks-change3.jpg
Perfect fit! :)

I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with this Amiga! :D

Return to “Conquests”