intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:55 am

In-between recent hardware projects I’d started to get familiar with the C64 classic Times of Lore, except the Amiga version (natch). It’s an adventure game that requires quite a bit of time and focus, more akin to Zelda-type wandering and adventuring.

But it’s hard to play a game like that when hardware projects are distracting you this way and that. And lately there’s been a glorious swarm.

So I’ve decided to put Lore on-hold and do something more frivolous in shorter spurts.

It helped that I landed a super sweet NOS shrink-wrapped boxed version of Will Harvey’s Zany Golf!
IMG_8410.jpg
IMG_8411.jpg
Will Harvey is the same guy who brought us The Immortal. Harvey was an Apple IIGS guy, and he pushed The Immortal and Zany Golf to the machine’s limits. As such, Zany Golf is considered one of the best games on the system.

So I couldn’t wait to try the Amiga version. A mouse-driven arcade-quality fantastical miniature golf on your computer? Hell yes!

And it doesn’t phase me one single bit to open it up and give it a go.
IMG_8412.jpg

The box has a kind of cool cover with a side flap buckle.
IMG_8413.jpg
The contents of the box are pretty minimal. But I love the epic 80s styling on the inside. A triangular photo and triangular text boxes? Oh, yes please. Even a teal sticker on the disk. Only thing missing is a few pink neon squiggles somewhere!
IMG_8414.jpg

No sense in waiting. Plus, I need to make sure the disk works, ya know?
IMG_8430.jpg
Sweet!
IMG_8424.jpg
IMG_8432.jpg
IMG_8434.jpg
Just like miniature golf it’s a lot of fun to play with others. Both of my kids gave it a go on day one and it’s one of those rare games they instantly loved, too. No joke - a game is pretty special when you can share the experience with your kids.

More soon!

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:11 am

I love Zany Golf, played it on the PC. Probably the best of the mini golf games I remember. I do hate those EA flap box covers. I remember Fountain of Dreams having one of those as well.

Return to “Conquests”