intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm

I can't believe this, but I found and successfully acquired a second original Amiga 1000 Rejuvenator.
IMG_9249.jpg
This one is in need of a bit mild cleaning, but behold! The VARTA is still on-board, yet only has the faintest beginnings of leakage, and they haven't left the battery yet. How lucky is that? I'm half tempted to fire up the board and see if the clock still holds a charge! My other Rejuvenator had the clock removed, so I've never had the chance to play with that before.
IMG_9250.JPG
Only the very slightest of leakage has begun on the negative pole of the VARTA battery. The board itself is fine!

IMG_9251.JPG
The positive side is fine.

In addition, this Rejuvenator came populated with a Paula and Denise, too! Not only that, but I now have a 2nd (and 3rd!) copy of the original Rejuvenator instructions. This one is pretty special as it has hand-written notes inside it from the original owner. I love finding things like that.
IMG_9259.JPG
IMG_9252.JPG
The video adapter on this Rejuvenator is a little different looking than the one on the first one I sourced.

Acquiring a second board is an enormous stroke of good luck in our efforts to reverse engineer the thing. Not to jump too far ahead of my team's plans, but in theory we should be able to remove the PAL chips from this new acquisition (assuming it works) and put them on a newly printed board simply to see if that board works.
IMG_9254.JPG
Serial numbers were hand-written on these boards This one *seems* to be rather old, and has lots of zeroes.

I have a lot more updates for the Rejuvenator coming soon as we shall begin to get the project back up and running now that the holidays are behind us. So cool!

EzdineG
Springfield, MO

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:32 pm

There is a huge chance that Rejuvenator has PALs that aren’t locked.

Take them out immediately and see if they can be read!

I wonder who clued you in on this find? ;)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:49 pm

Why YOU did, fine sir! I am in your debt, no doubt. Thanks for the lead!

joethezombie
Twin Falls, ID

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:45 pm

Ha ha! So awesome! Seriously dude! Lets hope for just a few more of these in the near future! ;)

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:55 am

Very Cool! Congrats on a great find, guys. You make me wish I had an A1000 too. ;)

rpiguy9907

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:05 pm

Was this the one that was offered up on Reddit with several other A1000 items a week or two ago? I tried to get a keyboard but didn't read the thread until too late.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:08 pm

It was indeed in a massive pile o' stuff on Reddit, yes.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:07 am

Upon first installation of this Rejuvenator (what I'm calling Rejuve2) it didn't work. Black screen.

This Wednesday, we're going to replace as many parts as possible to see if we can wake her back up. Original Paula, Denise, 1mb Agnus and all of the RAM (thankfully it's socketed). I have all of the RAM from my original Rejuvenator - and it all works. It was pulled so we could install 2MB on that board.

So we'll replace each chip one by one and hopefully spring this board back to life.

It's worth noting that on closer inspection, Joe believes the Rejuve2 to be an earlier version than my working board, as some of the caps are different. . .
Attachments
IMG_9548.JPG
Organ (chip) donors are ready to try and save the patient.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:50 pm

Major good news! After several communications over this weekend, my friend Christian uncovered a startling discovery - the original owner sent me the Rejuve2 with the Kickstart ROM installed backwards!

After removing it (it was toast) and trying a spare KS ROM I had in my stores, guess what?
IMG_9586.JPG
We're back in business, baby!

This should quickly accelerate our next tests with the home-brew board we are building. Woohoo!

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:35 pm

So yeah, white PCB with gold ENIG. And it should have a phat AmigaLove.com pixelated cursor on the screen print :D

Keeping in line with some of the newer PCB re-do efforts-does this make it a ReRejuvenator?

Congrats on all the successes of this. I have a dusty A1000 just waiting for some attention!

Return to “Conquests”