McTrinsic

Posted Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:23 am

As someone who likes RPGs, I am more of the thinking-style gamer. RPGs? Definitely. Strategy? Yes, please! Adventure? Indeed my taste.

So now I am sitting on a beach, reading „50 Years of Text Games“ by Aaron Reed. I really enjoy the trip down memory lane for the part that witnessed actively when in my gaming days. Interesting background information and at least as interesting ideas how to retrospectively asses these games. As games and also as some sort of art. Considering the footprint the games leave.

Also learning about new games and new information about games I heard about.

Makes me want to try out some of those.

I just enjoy it so maybe you might as well 😉.

https://if50.textories.com/

… and the usual rant: no, I am not affiliated blah blah blah.

Cheers,
McT

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:45 am

My good friend and site member dddaaannn got the gorgeous boxed set edition and brought it to SEA-CCC in July for us to (gasp!) touch and look through.

I'd been on the email newsletter since the beginning, but ultimately didn't invest in the physical edition because the author focused on so many games/stories that were contemporary. I very much enjoyed reading about the games from the 80s. But the current scene doesn't currently interest me as much, even though I know it should as there's a resurgence going on now.

In any case, I agree with you. It's an impressive collection and piece of work.

Return to “The Lounge”