intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:51 am

As many members of this site know I’ve been a big fan of the Amiga version of Rogue for a while.

As such, I’ve been hunting for an original boxed copy of this pretty rare game, at least in terms of the Amiga platform, for years. Physical copies are hard to find because when it was released for Amiga many gamers were heavily focused on graphics and sound first and foremost. While Rogue offered a very fun experience, visually - especially on a powerful system like the Amiga in 1986 - it often failed to impress at first glance.

Only those who actually played the game came to know how addicting it could be once the specifics were practiced and learned.

Over the past few years whenever a boxed version of Rogue would emerge it would be offered for close to $1,000 if not much more. Obviously that’s ridiculous and frankly obscene. But a few weeks ago one popped on Ebay for far far far less, and even had a Make Offer option, which I used. And to my astonishment the seller accepted my relatively low offer!

IMG_4179.JPG
The box isn't perfect, but it's pretty danged good.

IMG_4180.JPG
IMG_4181.jpg

The box is in pretty good shape and the manual appears virtually untouched. Naturally, I quickly started playing the game to ensure the disk worked. And it does. But here’s what’s crazy…

IMG_4183.jpg
I have a 2nd original disk of Rogue which has a lot of my best scores. But when I beat the game in 2019 it was actually on a crack of the game.

When you die, if you have a high enough score your character’s name, score, form of death and level where you died are displayed and added to a top-ten high score list called the Guildmaster’s Hall of Fame.

After my first play I was completely stunned to see my name and score added to a completely blank Hall of Fame screen!

Somehow, some way, this Rogue disk seems to have never been used a single time in the past 37 years before I did.

I can't believe it.

I want to find a plastic box shell of sorts to put this specimen inside for safe keeping where I can still see the box art. But for now I’m going to just keep it on my desk and admire it like the prized possession it is.

:boing: <3

Appee

Posted Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:16 am

It's always funny when you have something and the price was never something you thought about. I have my Rogue's box and instruction manual in a huge tote of other boxes with manuals. My eyes bulged a little as I was shocked when I read the sticker price. I keep my floppies in a huge floppy organizer that I rarely touch. Maybe I should work out a display. Only Monkey Island is out and that's because it was a recent gift.

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:15 pm

congrats man that's an awesome find for any Rogue fan's collection! Looks like the previous owner was smart and made a copy of the original disk right away thus preserving it all these years for your benefit ;) :check: :boing:

Return to “Conquests”