TenLeftFingers

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:13 am

It could be a mod, game music or from a demo. I like the music from the Cathederal level of Batman the Movie* by Matthew Cannon.

* I actually prefer the C64 version to the Amiga one. There is a great modernisation here

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 am

One of my favorite demo tracks is from "State of the Art" by Spaceballs.

Game-wise, the CD32 soundtrack from Zool is one of my faves, especially the Music World track! :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:00 am

I actually think this is a cross-over philosophical question.

There are songs that obviously execute at an extremely high level in complexity and melody. In that department, I love Double Dragon II's intro track (especially by 1:20 or so). Everything about it is just so good.

But then there are games that we've played obsessively, day after day. And some of those games (Curse of the Azure Bonds for me) - become total earworms that give you a very warm feeling when you hear them. The music from some of your favorite games might sound simplistic to the uninitiated, but to the game-obsessed, the music from those games could evoke intensely strong, positive feelings.

So, Doube Dragon is a game I might play with my son and never again, but I recognize the mastery of the intro track. Yet a more simplistic sounding tune may trigger deeper personal connections for me.

Every now and then, you hit a game that does both. It is both one you obsessed over and had a brilliant intro or soundtrack. Defender of the Crown, I think, hits close to that mark. Although that could be nostalgia talking. But it's pretty cool.

Desert Strike, with its digitized voices (hear it on YouTube), is also pretty freaking amazing and intense. I think Monkey Island needs to be in the conversation, too, just because its 1) such a great tune and 2) the instruments are amazing. And Turrican II.

Dang, man, this is really hard to answer! <3

ArtstateDigital
Wales, United Kingdom

Posted Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:00 pm

My first post! Here are a few tunes that come to mind immediately, they are as follows:

Physical Presence by Jogeir Liljedahl from the demo Love by Virtual Dreams / Fairlight

https://youtu.be/hGpqAiPbpyg

Joyride by Mantronix (Martin Wall) and Tip (Robert Ling)

https://youtu.be/cL4dG8HdrSs

Overload by Mantronix (Martin Wall) and Tip (Robert Ling)

https://youtu.be/ZgjPbpdesN4

Spell Amelioration by Uncle Tom

https://youtu.be/9FJNje6Uze0

...and finally, a tracklist that does not mention 4-Mat would be a crime against Amigadom. The emotion in this track is truly amazing...

Back again by 4-Mat

https://youtu.be/r3Kd-Un-2n4

I really hope you enjoyed this selection of legendary Amiga modules that mean a lot to me.
Last edited by ArtstateDigital on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TenLeftFingers

Posted Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:39 pm

Great answers guys, I hadn't paid much attention to the likes of Desert Strike or Zool (becuase I played it on the 600).

ArtstateDigital great first post :) Thanks for introducing me to those. Sir_Lucas tells me we are meeting in the morning and I'm looking forward to it :)

intric8, I know what you mean. My sisters were about ten years older than me and they instilled on me some music that I probably wouldn't have any time for otherwise from the 80's :)

mattsoft

Posted Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:25 pm

Great Giana Sisters and Turrican 2 -- both by Chris Hülsbeck -- that man is a genius.

ArtstateDigital
Wales, United Kingdom

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:18 am

TenLeftFingers wrote:ArtstateDigital great first post :) Thanks for introducing me to those. Sir_Lucas tells me we are meeting in the morning and I'm looking forward to it :)
Thank you ...and it was great to meet you. An absolute pleasure.

LambdaCalculus
New Jersey, USA

Posted Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:54 pm

mattsoft wrote:Great Giana Sisters and Turrican 2 -- both by Chris Hülsbeck -- that man is a genius.
You can never go wrong with Chris Hülsbeck's music! He really was a mad genius! :)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:57 am

I don't know if I'd rank this in the realm of classics, but Black Crypt's intro tune is really good. It's kind of empowering and enticing right before you dive into an hour or two of soul-crushing defeat in the dungeon crawler.

I recorded a short video of it being played on my Amiga 2000 through original Commodore speakers. Good times!
Attachments
2000-playing-BC.png
My Amiga 2000 playing the sweet synth-y intro tune for Raven's Black Crypt.

ptyerman
Worksop/ UK

Posted Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 pm

There is so many it's impossible to list them all. The title music of Hero Quest comes to the forefront.
In-game music from the first Shadow of the Beast is also good.
And the thousands of MODS I listen to almost every day. :)

Return to “The Lounge”