Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Figured that might raise an eyebrow or two... I've exclusively used my Amiga 500 for BBS' in the past, today was the first time I attempted to get my DOS machine in on the fun. I'm sure I'll make the experience into a video/writing at some point, but I felt like showing it off a little.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:29 pm

That's awesome, Shot! Looks pretty danged good, too. Nice ANSI translation (and colors, too).

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 am

I've never been a fan of the default EGA color look. Too many ugly brights designed for business users. It's also a fully VGA capable program, yet it defaults to those colors, likely for backward compatibility. I noticed color menus, and I will be tinkering.

Other than that the only thing that bothers me is how messages seem to justify themselves toward the bottom of the screen. That feels very odd to me, and I certainly prefer the short messages going toward the top of the screen.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:24 am

Oh - I hadn't noticed the vertical alignment before in your screenshots. That really is strange. Maybe that's a terminal setting somewhere, too.

But cool to see that DOS machine playing nice with a C64/128 board! That's super cool.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:32 am

It has all kinds of neat (some weird) features, too. It can take screenshots directly from the program. It can do things like estimate how much money you've spent during a long distance call, of course useless now. It counts how long you've been active on a board, beeping the PC speaker and flashing a message at certain intervals. I was quite shocked to be interrupted with "You have been online for 20 minutes) while I was catching up on Particles. Good way to keep you honest, though. A lot of inconsiderate people on boards not understanding that only one person at a time can be on.

So many features to this program, though not exactly a breeze to pinpoint and alter them, given the DOS nature of it all. Always makes it rewarding when you do figure it out, though.

Return to “Non-Commodore Scenes”