rjd

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:02 pm

So I wish to create a new 1.3 game to run in WB named BlockyBirds. This is just going to be a 4 colour version of the @ngryBirds concept; a concept which is applied to many games - I remember playing a simple flash (I think it was flash back then) game back in school called 'Copter or something where you had to pilot the helicopter without crashing.

I have asked Shot to ask one of his companions to draw the BlockyBird image which you will use to navigate through the play field. This does not stop development since I can just use a template image.

Once more, this is in the context of using Intuition primitives to draw things on the screen and I will upload a video about the new structures I am using and a few minor points on the necessaries of where some of the structures have to reside in memory such that they are accessible by onboard chips.

I should have something soon (tm) - by which I mean in the next month - by which I mean at the upper boundary of next month!

As I requested, I need an image of the blockybird in the form of a bit-matrix.

For example:

If 0 is whatever background colour you see and 1 is black (such that black is not the background!) then you would see a sort-of diamond shape.

If anyone can come up with an image that resembles a bird, that would be great. There are no stipulations as the to the size of the image since I can scale it as necessary.

Hopefully I can have some sort of beta soon with a little bit of interactivity such as asking for the user's name and perhaps storing the highest score onto disk.

I am not intending for the beta version to have any menus, but that would be good at some point as things develop to introduce how to create menus in windows.

Oh, and I would like this one to have an icon rather than running from command line!

Cheers all.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:10 pm

Excited for this! She expressed interest so that's good news! I'll send her a link to this post. I love that there's someone out there programming via Intuition on good old Workbench 1.3 - I'm not saying it doesn't take talent to do it under 3.1, but I am saying this is the stuff that impresses me and the original machines deserve way more love than they get from the modern day programmers.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:30 pm

This sounds like fun, rjd!
I should have something soon (tm) - by which I mean in the next month - by which I mean at the upper boundary of next month!
that made me laugh, because it's so true.

Does the bird need 2 frames? Like wing up, wing down, so that it is animated?

Would more than 2 frames be OK? And do the color choices (RGB values) matter, assuming you can do more than black/white/blue/gray - or should just that color scheme be considered?

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:27 pm

Ah yes, I hear Intric8 is pretty good with the pixel art, so there's options!

rjd

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:07 am

Intric8, yes two frames would be ideal.

Can we work with 32 bits wide and 10 columns?

Styg is also an artist and has some ideas which leads to an easy additional feature of the game: the ability at the start of the game to select which sprite the user wants to play with!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:20 am

Don't want to get in the way here. If Styg is able to assist, I think that's great. If Styg's schedule isn't conducive to this project, ping me. I've done a bit of pixel art in the past and this sounds pretty quick.

Looking forward to how this turns out!

rjd

Posted Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:57 pm

Work has been progressing so far.

This time ESC cancels out of the window/game which is such a simple but wonderful thing I think!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:33 am

How's the development of this game going? Whenever you get to a gold master, feel free to post it here. We can host the ADF for you, too.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:04 pm

I believe he mentioned to me it may have been a bit too ambitious of a project given time and the Workbench environment. I believe he was thinking about doing a checkers intuition game.

Return to “Software”