intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:12 pm

On October 22, 2016, my family and I drove down from Seattle to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. They put on a really solid event at the Portland Convention Center. What I walked away with at the end of the day borders on winning the Amiga lottery.

One third of the expo included various auditoriums for panels with distinguished speakers. Some of the speakers were legends from the 80s and 90s, others were retro game review celebs and historians from YouTube and various podcasts, while even others were modders and engineers in the scene.

Another third of the expo was a large free-play arcade, filled with classic games. 70 percent of the games were classics like Bubble Bobble, Popeye, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Star Wars, Tempest... you get the idea. Pure heaven. The other 30 percent were pinball machines. I get my fill of pinball in Seattle as it is, so I spent my time glued to cabinets when I was in the arcade. My son actually got his picture taken by the local paper, The Oregonian, playing a mini-version of Bubble Bobble (which he'd played on our 1200, naturally). <3

And the final third was for exhibitors - an area where tons of people were there to sell their vintage retro wares. It's fair to say that the majority of items for sale were Nintendo flavored. There were simply countless tables covered with SNES and NES carts to be had, some rare and some simply cheap (yay!). I picked up several carts I needed for at least half the cost you'd find on Ebay if not better (usually better). Bizarrely, at least to me, there was a huge contingency of Intellivision systems and carts to be found as well. I knew one guy growing up who had one. I was in total awe when I saw it in person as a kid as the Intellivision, as I remember it, featured voice for the first time in a home console game (it was in a baseball game). But as far as I thought the machine was pretty rare. Not in Portland, apparently. It was incredible. According to Wikipedia over 3 million were sold, which is actually pretty impressive and a bit better than the Colecovision. Live and learn, right? To be honest I was rather surprised at the relative scarcity of Sega Genesis and even Coleco machines at the event.

And then one vendor - only one, and I went to all of them - had some boxes on a table with the Amiga logo. My Spidey sense started to tingle as I got closer. Here was a shrink-wrapped box of some crappy Amiga games for some Christmas special promo. Hmph. Interesting, but no. Walking around to the other side of his setup, I nearly tripped over a large box with Amiga printed on the side. This box was at least up to my knee. The tape had been broken, so I peeked inside.

Original pink plastic was sheathed over an immaculate, pristine and white keyboard. What's this? Wait.. I lifted some styrofoam, and beneath was an Amiga 2000 HD, still in the Commodore logoed plastic bag. My Spidey sense was on full alert.

Suffice to say, at the end of the day the kind vendor walked the box to my car (pretty far away in underground parking) and slid it into the back hatch of my car, nice and snug for the trip back to Seattle three hours away.

Part of me wondered if, when I got home, the thing would be simply a case; a trashed motherboard covered in battery acid and mouse droppings; all of the innards removed, etc. Either way, I reasoned to myself, from what I saw I could at least get my money back if I so desired from a history fan wanting a nice keyboard and non-yellow case.

As soon as I got home (and turned on the Cubs playoff game) I started to pull parts out of the box piece by piece, removing them from their plastic. I couldn't believe it. The further I went, the better it got.

I had lucked into a never used, never exposed to normal air or sunlight, Amiga 2000 HD. The vendor told me the following story (there's always a story!).

He had met this guy who used to own a small computer retail business years ago in Eugene, Oregon. When that business folded, he had a lot of stock remaining, which he put into storage. He traded most of it to someone else for restaurant equipment. But, he still had some pieces left. The vendor I met bought the remaining stock, but honestly I don't think he realized what he had. I got one of two. The other, which I took a peek at, had somehow been exposed to the elements and showed signs of yellowing - pretty normal, but heavy duty nevertheless.

The following day, I carefully pulled the case off and even more carefully removed the motherboard (not a fun job). I did this to remove the battery, which was showing signs of leakage. I cleaned the motherboard of any acid dust particles (not much) and reassembled everything. I hooked up my 1084S monitor then fired it up.

It instantly awoke and came to life. For the very first time!

After cheering a bit, I installed AExplorer and then SysInfo 4, to get a better idea of what I was dealing with here. This 2000 HD has the following, from what I can tell:
  • 40 MB SCSI Harddrive
  • WB 2.04 installed to HD, and KS 2.04
  • ECS chip. The original 2000 in 1987 was OCS. Wikipedia claims the 2000 was discontinued in 1991. Yet, this 2000 HD has chips inside it copyrighted 1992. The board has "rev 6" imprinted on it, which was the final revision series of the motherboard (aka Model C); I believe it to be the final rev made, the 6.4, as the assembly numbers are exactly the same as shown on the Big Book of Amiga Hardware. The cool thing about rev 6 2000s is that they came with 1MB of standard CHIP RAM (confirmed).
  • A2091 SCSI harddrive controller
  • Processor: [email protected], NTSC
It has the original, never used mouse. Check out the pics below of the styrofoam wedge to protect the roller ball during shipping still in place.

It also has all of the original disks (unfortunately, no Workbench disks since everything was pre-installed on the HD) and the still-sealed warranty packet. I'm going to keep that sealed forever.

My only minor gripe is the fan is quite loud - and was designed that way. I've since been given some advice on a very nice inexpensive fan to swap it out and quiet things down, hopefully. Other than that, this thing is a sight to behold.

See for yourself.
Attachments
IMG_5389.JPG
IMG_0952_sm.jpg
IMG_0953_sm.jpg
IMG_0954_sm.jpg
IMG_0956_sm.jpg
No scratches or paint shadows, of course.

IMG_0957_sm.jpg
Original twisties are still wrapped around the cables. I had to undo the one for the power cable. I've kept the rest bound for now.

IMG_0959_sm.jpg
Not a single pockmark of corrosion or wear. Everything simply sparkles. Even the butt of the machine is pretty.

IMG_0960_sm.jpg
IMG_0963_sm.jpg
Note the shrinkwrap still around the included book/documenta

IMG_0964_sm.jpg
IMG_0965_sm.jpg
A styrofoam wedge to protect the mouse's rollerball during shipping is still in place. The mouse was in the original bubble wrap.

IMG_5394.JPG
Not a single spec of dust ever ventured into this A2000 for over 20 years. Until now. Can you remember your computer lacking any dust? Ever? I doubt it. And look at that shiny metal.

IMG_5400.JPG
IMG_5401.JPG

terriblefire

Posted Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:05 pm

Serious Retro Envy!!!

Fantastic find!

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:02 pm

What a great find! Thanks for sharing. The only Commodore thing I got NOS was a C128 (to replace my old one) and NOS 1571 that had never been taken out of the box about two years ago. But I would love to find a big box Amiga NOS.

hishamk

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:13 pm

Nice find!

I've scored a couple of Amiga NOS items in the past couple of years or so:

a still in wraps NOS Amiga 1000 mouse (with the angled connector) - from as US seller on eBay (seller's note: came from an Amiga dealer's storage after excessive non-payment. Seller bought the lot from the storage facility.)

and a NOS still in wraps Amiga 1000 spare power supply unit (220v) - from a Dutch seller on amibay.com (seller's note: came from an ex-Amiga dealer.) There were like ten or fifteen available.

These are pretty cool finds for me as I do have a PAL/220v A1000 and these spares are nice to have on hand.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:32 pm

1000s are such beautifully designed machines. I've been watching this auction for the past couple of days for curiosity's sake. It looks immaculate in the pictures.

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 pm

Emmm, Amiga 1000... (Homer Simpson drool)

TjLaZer
Tacompton

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:21 pm

Nice A2000! What state was the Battery in by chance? Curious!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:30 pm

It wasn't horrible. I still clipped it out as it had begun to show that white dust on the ends.

But it was really not very bad compared to others I've seen.

Most beautiful, perfect A2000 I've ever seen.

And then, painfully, I sold it to help cover the costs of my retro hobby for a year+. True story.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:20 pm

intric8 wrote: And then, painfully, I sold it to help cover the costs of my retro hobby for a year+. True story.
Oh man, that stinks. You still have the other A2000 though, yeah?

Now that I finally got the original A2000 I used back in the day repaired, I have been tempted to sell my other one that replaced it when I didn't have time to repair the original. But i said no, LOL.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 pm

Oh yeah - my daily driver A2000 is rockin' great. That's partly why it was easier for me to let the brand new one go. I already had a great machine I adored, and a back-up for parts.

Return to “Conquests”