intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:18 pm

(The following is one approach towards building a nearly new Commodore 64 in 2019. Here is another with a slightly more purist focus.)

Some time in 2018 I happened across a shaky-cam video of a guy in Germany performing a really bizarre and awesome demo. He had an Ultimate64 inside of a clear acrylic case - one that I’d never seen before. And the case had internal LED lights that illuminated his machine (which was in a dark room to add to the dramatics). He wrote a program that, if I remember correctly, played SID tunes and strobed the LEDs to the beat.

It blew me away.
IMG_2018.jpg
Remember the see-through Swatch watches? Swatch and Commodore just had a baby.

IMG_0069.jpg
At about 06:30 you can just barely make out "Made by Gideon" in blurry white text. See that?

I had an Ultimate64 made by Gideon Zweijtzer of Amsterdam, Netherlands, sitting in a box waiting patiently for NTSC support and I was lacking a proper case for it. I knew when I saw the acrylic case I’d finally found my U64’s new home.
IMG_1980.jpg
The Ultimate64 by Gideon Zweijtzer is an astonishing FPGA implementation of the C64. It provides green, modern tech and comforts (HDMI, USB, PSU, etc) while also offering ports for original peripherals like disk drives, joysticks and cartridges. And the firmware continues to improve on a very steady pace.

IMG_0039.jpg
A VARTA battery?! For the love of god noooo! WHY? WHY? Oh wait, I guess this one’s OK. (Note to self: Just don't pack it in the attic and forget about it!)

That’s when a plan formed in my mind. I was going to try and build an entirely brand new C64 using modern products. Everything - literally everything - would be new except for the keycaps.

It took me a while to figure out where that see-through acrylic case came from, but eventually after a bit of research I discovered it came from Germany by a company called Plexilaser. They have several very cool products for Commodore machines including a case for the Amiga 500. The case I was interested in was designed specifically for the Ultimate64 board.

The case is laser cut and you can request to have any letters and/or numbers cut out of the top case that you want. In terms of LEDs - an optional extra feature - there are color options of red, green, blue or white lights.

The case itself can come in 3 different colors as well: clear, smoke gray or matte black. I really wanted the smoke gray one after careful consideration and chatting with the owner of Plexilasr, Michael Schön. And for me, the blue light seemed to fit perfectly with the soft glow of the blue BASIC screen it would be next to. Totally modern with a nod towards the past.

I selected the options I wanted and went to order.

And that’s when shit got real. There was no shipping outside of Europe! I was completely soul crushed.

But here’s the thing. I’ve learned over time that it never hurts to ask (or even beg). I contacted the shop and asked about what I could do. After a few days of passing messages back and forth, Michael worked with me personally to get me the case that I wanted. He's solid.

Apparently in the early days shipping outside of Europe had been permitted but a lot of customers received damaged goods through USPS - so much so that it became a financial burden for Plexilaser to support half the world. But we worked things out and all was well.

A few weeks later I got my new case. It comes sort of like an old-school model that you have to assemble. And it takes some care and concentration.
IMG_1977.jpg
Study the instructions and attempt to identify each thing in the box with the list of parts. It will save you time during assembly.

IMG_9705.jpg
Those flakes? That's not dandruff, but you'll grow to hate them. No doubt.

As I mentioned before I already had the Ultimate64 sitting on a shelf waiting patiently for glory. But I started to put things together now that I had the case as I couldn’t wait any longer. (Note: Just this weekend NTSC support was released by Gideon - literally the day I finished this build! Sometimes things just work out.)

The Keyboard

Previously I got into one of the order batches for the exceptionally crafted Mechboard64 made by Lau (aka MtnBuffalo) out of Denmark. My goal was for the U64 machine to have this wicked case and use the brand new keyboard.

I first spent the time pulling keys off a dead breadbin and even retr0brighted the glyphs to make them as close to original white as possible. Then I transferred them to the yellow Gatreon microswitches. I picked yellow because according to Lau they are the closest to the original feel. Even though I was building a freaking C64 the likes worthy of being on Data’s desk on TNG, I still wanted it to have original-ish touches.
IMG_2012.jpg
The build of the Mechboard is phenomenal. Pure primo. Your old plastic keyboard feels like a child's toy. (Well, in truth...) But this thing is stout. It's awesome.

IMG_9731.jpg
A fairly tedious but oddly relaxing task of putting the keys and their adapters onto the Mechboard's Gatreon switches.

IMG_9732.jpg
First things first.

IMG_9733.jpg
Almost done.

IMG_9734.jpg
Now that is a thing of beauty. Amiright?

Once the Mechboard was assembled, it was time to put everything together once and for all.

Assembly, and a Course Correction

The first thing I had to do was remove a protective film from each of the various parts of the Plexilaser case. You have to do this very slowly and carefully, as according to the instructions going too fast can make some delicate areas break (especially around the laser cut custom word you chose which produces very thin plastic).
IMG_9704.jpg
The undressing begins. Slowly, and sensually. Make it last.

Once the film is removed, I had a very difficult time keeping the acrylic clean. Inside the box and all over the parts are tiny little white shavings, and the acrylic has a bit of natural static that makes the shavings stick to it. I could blow air on the parts but oftentimes some of the shavings would fly around to the other side of a part and cling for dear life. It's like that thing on your finger you just can't flick off, ya know?

I ultimately bought a small stack of soft micro-fiber cloths to both remove my fingerprints as well as knock the shavings off once and for all. I never needed to spray the case with chemicals or anything like that.

The case comes with a set of step-by-step instructions. It took me a while to identify which parts were which, as there are lots of little bolts and nuts and whatnot. I also did everything with finger-strength - no tools! Over-tightening a bolt is a great way to crack acrylic and make tears leak down your sad adult face.

So I held the screwdriver bit in my fingers and just used my hands when I attached everything. Getting the U64 board into place did not take very long at all.
IMG_9742.jpg
Ultimate64 attached. The Plexilaser uses 3 keyboard supports, shown here.

Next it was time to attach the Mechboard64.

The Plexilaser comes with 3 little supports to hold up the keyboard. It was designed entirely with original plastic C64 keyboards in mind - and, the Mechboard was designed entirely for original C64 breadbin or 64C cases. In my mind that meant these two products should work together.

After talking to both Lau and Michael, I discovered that I appeared to be the first person to ever attempt this particular build.

What I soon found out was that the far-right keyboard support did not have a matching hole in the Mechboard’s metal aluminum case. After a bit of handwringing I pulled out a metal punch, hammer and drill, and added the necessary mounting hole.
IMG_0030.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg
Drilling aluminum right over my living room rug? That's how I roll, yo.

IMG_0037.jpg
Perfect fit. I applied a little black paint to prevent any future corrosion.

It turned out very nicely I think.

I then reattached the Mechboard and began to put the entire case together. After snapping on the top cover I quickly discovered two more problems.

The Plexilaser has 1 bolt at the very front of the case that secures into an L-bracket. That bolt directly bottoms out on the Mechboard’s lower edge. In the original plastic C64 keyboards there is a large rectangular cutout in the plastic below the spacebar area. The Mechboard does not have this cutout. To be fair, the cutout appears to be completely arbitrary for the original keyboards and is not mechanically important. Perhaps it was done to allow C= to pour less plastic and save a penny or two per machine. But in order to get the Mechboard out of the bolt’s way I’d either have to cut the aluminum again or use a really short bolt (not great options).
IMG_0051.jpg
Modding the Mechboard to accommodate the Plexilaser case's front bolt would have required more surgery.

The other problem is that based on where the mounting holes are on the Mechboard, there is ever so slight repositioning of the keyboard compared to an original keyboard. As a result, when the top case is attached the top row of keycaps make contact with the plexilaser case. In fact, my F1 key wouldn’t even go down at all as the case was underneath that key.
IMG_0049.jpg
You want to use F1? Too bad for you!

It's possible I could have taken out the drill and done more surgery, but there were too many variables. The wiring harness, the hole alignments - it wasn't a drop-in with the Plexilaser. No matter how I tried to massage the alignment I could never get it to work the way it was intended. And the last thing I was prepared to do was cut each hole on the Mechboard into a new shape to try and find the perfect fit - it would have required new hardware (washers, etc.). I mean the case is clear so we can all see the beauty of these parts. I wasn’t about to perform more mods that might have damaged it or detracted from its beauty.

After over 3 hours of failed attempts, I finally threw in the towel and put the Mechboard in my other “new” build so that it could be used with my MK2 Reloaded machine. That machine is so fantastic I just love it.

In the end I put an original 64C keyboard into the Plexilaser. After putting on the brackets I had things buttoned up in just a matter of moments.
IMG_2017.jpg
It's like they were designed for each other. Oh wait - they were.

IMG_0068.jpg
IMG_2019.jpg
And to be clear the Mechboard went into my 64C case in all of 2 minutes - flawless victory. I can’t recommend that keyboard more highly. It types better than any C64 I’ve ever had in my life including NOS machines. It’s pure silky perfection.

At this point my only future change will likely be the keycaps. I’m going to try and source some breadbin keys as I simply prefer them. Other than that, though, this Ultimate64 is pretty f’ing bad ass! Now to finally stop playing with hardware for a bit and enjoy these gorgeous new additions to my collection. Total 8-bit Commodore heaven.
IMG_0064.jpg
Graham is intrigued.

IMG_2025.jpg
You can almost see the "COMMODORE" letters. They're ghostly.

IMG_2024.jpg
Clear keycaps with opaque glyphs would be pretty bad ass, right? Of course, I'd be seeing blue everywhere when I flick on the lights, but hey - small price to pay.

IMG_4642.jpg
It was a long time a comin' but I'm really glad where things landed. Two amazing modern C64s under one roof. And a kid with whom to share them. It doesn't get any better than this, folks.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:53 pm

I had no idea this existed. What a neat case. Super cool build, intric8.

Did you find a set of brown (original) keys? That is funny because I have a transparent 64c kickstarter case that has been sitting on a shelf with a Reloaded (original) board in it waiting for my transparent Blue keys from the IndieNoNo campaign. I used the keys from a dead breadbin but it needs 64c keys. LOL.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:09 pm

Did you find a set of brown (original) keys?
Not for this build, although I'd probably prefer them.

I have an old dead breadbin I could pull some from but the top glyphs are way too yellow even for retr0brighting (I'm fairly sure).

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:15 am

Some good news!

I've been in touch with Lau from breadbox64.com and he said some of the articles published recently have driven more pre-order requests. This is precisely the kind of "marketing" that needs to happen.

Lau:
As of now, I’m pretty sure I have enough pre-orders to make another batch of keyboards later this year.
And on his site:
I have now received enough pre-orders for another batch run. Thanks guys! I have not made plans for that batch just yet, but it will most likely run during the fall of 2019. I will write directly to everyone on the list when it starts. If you missed the pre-order and still want to show your interest in a future batch, regardless that I don’t know when it may happen, you are very welcome to send me an e-mail to [email protected].
This is excellent news! I love this keyboard and hope it can get into the hands of more people.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Dude. That looks epic. All the right awesomeness for a modern implementation of a C64-with a light touch of homebrew engineering to throw in. You're making us all insanely jealous with your bling'd out kit.

Pro tip time: Lexan loves dust and styrene particulates. Buy a box a SWIFFER brand refills. Don't go for the cheap store brand version-must be the legit branded SWIFFER. They are great at collecting up those particles that become static charged bits to acrylic. I used to do a fair bit of hobby CNC work on foam (EPS, EPP, EPO) which makes a LOT of styrene particles everywhere. Swiffer sheets were great at collecting up the bits that would adhere to other materials (like phenolics, G10 and carbon fiber).

This part may be Myth Buster worthy, but I also would wipe down surfaces with dryer sheets to reduce the static charge built up-and in turn reduce the particle collection. YMMV on that, but I swear I *think* it worked.

.Toast

rpiguy9907

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:37 pm

Your photos are among the best I’ve seen of the plexiglass case! It never seemed interesting to me before (despite being wowed by the same demo), but your pictures are stunning it looks really great. Just beautiful.

Also jealous I have to wait almost a year for my mechboard!

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:20 pm

@rpiguy9907 you know that really means a lot to me. Thanks for that.

What you see above is a mixture of two cameras.

The "really good ones" (depth of field, etc.) are from my Canon DSLR with a really kickass macro lens. Those are kinda tough as it's all about the glass, and it's a fixed lens. So I have to move around - and sometimes manually focus - to get the shot I want. You can't just twist it to adjust the frame.

This is sort of off topic, but I'm a huge fan of fixed lenses. They almost always have the best glass. They are not the kind of thing you'd take with you on a trip, but if you're doing "product shots" it's fixed glass all the way. I have one specifically for portraits, and one for macro shots. I have an adjustable for traveling...

But the fixed lens, in my opinion, forces us out of being lazy. There is only one frame, and it is up to us to move back and forth to really get that shot you want. With the adjustable lens, I can be lazy and take any old shot and just crop it later. Same with the phone. At least that's how my brain works.

So about half the shots above are fixed lens good glass, the other half my iPhone 8. (My wife just got an iPhone XS Plus, and the photos are jaw-dropping. The pics it can take are simply not fair.) If you see my fingers, that's definitely the phone.

By the way - do you know where a link to that demo might be? I've looked for it on 3 different occasions and just can't find it. Was it some walled-garden FB post? I really just can't remember.

rpiguy9907

Posted Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:48 am

It has been at least two years since I saw it. There are a bunch on YouTube now, but the ones closest to the one I remember (shot in a very, very dark room) are actually using an original C64 motherboard not the Reloaded edition:

Here's one, and here's another

This is actually using the Reloaded, but is not what I remember being wowed by.

So yeah, perhaps lost to the internet black hole.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:46 pm

@rpiguy9907 that last link you posted-I checked his other videos out and he has a PSU that has me salivating. "Ultimate Retro PSU" looks incredibly sweet. Wonder where that came from and if was totally DIY-or was it something that was a limited offer from a lemonhead?

.Toast

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 pm

So, how did you get him to ship outside of the EU? I bought one of the ACA500 plexi cases from them 2 years or so ago, no problem. I wanted to order an A500 plexi case (and other items), and, was told multiple times they wouldn't ship to the US anymore. I asked very nicely, too.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”