TommyE

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:20 pm

Hello

Just came across this post, and wondered if any of you has any info on about the memory module that are supposed to exist that plugs into the pinheader inside the A1060?

I have an A1060 and would like to put an 8087 + a v20 processor upgrade and then possibly the memory upgrade inside it.

Thanks
Tommy

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi TommyE

The sidecar is one of the key add-ons neither I or any of my local friends have on-hand, so I'm not sure. It's possible Christian knows, though. I'll ask and see if he has any info.

TommyE

Posted Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:28 pm

intric8 wrote:Hi TommyE

The sidecar is one of the key add-ons neither I or any of my local friends have on-hand, so I'm not sure. It's possible Christian knows, though. I'll ask and see if he has any info.
Hello initric8

Great, thanks for checking this out. I was looking thru the schematics for the A1060 but couldnt see anything there either. (Knowing the A500 schematics also has the A501 schematics in it, I was kind of hoping...) :)

/Tommy

Christian

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 am

Yes, the NEC V20 and the 8087 just plug in. No other changes required. The internal header was intended for an Amiga (not PC) RAM expansion - in fact the 1 MB memory expansion for the German A2000A has the matching holes to solder in a connector. However, it doesn’t work. Commodore never got that feature working. I don’t think it’s as bad as the internal memory expansion for the Supra 4x4 SCSI host adapter for the A1000 which shorted out - Supra dropped that feature quietly just as Commodore didn’t mention that use of that header.

TommyE

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:02 pm

Christian wrote:Yes, the NEC V20 and the 8087 just plug in. No other changes required. The internal header was intended for an Amiga (not PC) RAM expansion - in fact the 1 MB memory expansion for the German A2000A has the matching holes to solder in a connector. However, it doesn’t work. Commodore never got that feature working. I don’t think it’s as bad as the internal memory expansion for the Supra 4x4 SCSI host adapter for the A1000 which shorted out - Supra dropped that feature quietly just as Commodore didn’t mention that use of that header.
Hello Christian

Thanks for the enlightenment :) So no use in digging out one of my old A2000A 1mb board and solder in an pin socket and plugging it to test?

Would be cool to test it, but if you KNOW it does not work then I will forget it.

Thanks again
Tommy

Christian

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:41 pm

Hi Tommy

Since you have the A2000A RAM expansion, I’ll do some more research and see if I can find the A1060 schematics. As I wrote above, I don’t think that there is a fatal design defect but i’d still put a fuse in between the A1060 and the RAM board for testing (2 A fast acting for a first try on +5V). And I wouldn’t connect +12V, -5V, -12V if present.
Christian

Christian

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:49 pm

Found a couple of posts that say it’s possible :-) I didn’t find the posts that said that it doesn’t work or doesn’t work reliably yet.

Google Groups Link

If you get it working... there is a modification that removes the wait states from that card (it is slower that ‘regular’ fast mem ~80%). I can post the instructions for that.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:15 pm

I can't actually get that link to reveal the content you were trying to provide. It just goes to the top level of Google Groups. (I can see the search terms, tho)

Amiga sidecar memory board a2000 (within comp.sys.amiga.tech)

TommyE

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:14 am

Christian wrote:Found a couple of posts that say it’s possible :-) I didn’t find the posts that said that it doesn’t work or doesn’t work reliably yet.

Google Groups Link

If you get it working... there is a modification that removes the wait states from that card (it is slower that ‘regular’ fast mem ~80%). I can post the instructions for that.

Hello again Christian

I found 5 cbm/amiga groups there, but coudnt find any posts about the A1060, you wouldnt have a direct link to the thread?

/Tommy

TommyE

Posted Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:00 am

Found this https://www.amiga-news.de/de/forum/thre ... &BoardID=1
German, but run it thru google translate.

@christian, if you can find the 80ns hack, maybe that what is missing.

Would be cool if it could work..

/Tommy

Return to “Hardware”