Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 am

These projects certainly are VERY impressive. The tag is a little steep at over 250euros and it requires you to have a reasonable supply of existing ICs. But....dayum.

https://the128rm.com/product/the128rm/

Anyone else tempted?

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:31 am

Tempted?
Of course. :)

But I still have a project ahead for a C64-reloaded. So I will most probably skip this.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:01 am

Is this the model discussed elsewhere on here that fits into a 64c case? For me there is too many trade offs, not to mention the price, to replace a Real 128.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:32 am

@ZippyZapp
Yeah, it's over here.

I totally understand why it was packaged for the 64C case, and while it's expensive I bet the creator is charging close to cost for a small batch. It's a massive labor of love by the creator, and I think it's awesome that the 128 is getting some attention for change with projects like these. I'm personally going to pass, tho.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:44 pm

Apologies for not catching this thread on the other side of the fence.

Yes, price and compatibility-unless I was sitting on some dead hardware with no future of becoming full up system again due to board failure... might be a different story from that perspective. I am sure the cost is scaled appropriately for the limited scale of economies-but daddy warbucks isn't going to cover that for me. I might regret that some day if I land a bunch of 128 hardware. That's just not looking likely at this time.

I think all the "re" boot modern board stuff is seriously exciting. Especially on the Amiga side where there has been a ton of dead stuff as a result of battery damage. And, if you were looking for some future proofing or doing a lot of repair work requiring a test platform, this would be totally justifiable.

Then there is the bling factor. I guess some people are attracted to sexy clean hardware with acrylic cases and LED blinkenlights. But...that wouldn't be anyone here, right?

Right?

...ahem... @intric8

jk, bud. I get it.

oldbull

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:52 pm

I've been dreaming about a "Reloaded" A1200 in a kickstarter case with kipper2k keyboard. After today's news from icomp, it's looking like Vampire is the way I'll be running AGA software.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm

@Toast
I have no idea what you're talking about.

bwhahahahaha! :D

rpiguy9907

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:01 pm

According to a thread on AtariAge the 128 Remastered was cancelled. Backers received a refund.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:40 pm

That's true. My friend Dan, who is a member of SEA-CCC, informed us of this fact a couple of days ago. I'm not entirely surprised as the initial response was mixed. But I'm always a tad sad when a labor of love like this fails.

Even if I'm not entirely on board myself.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:03 am

That's a bummer. Although I was not interested in it myself I hate to see things canceled. Maybe if they do a 100% replacement then that will spark something.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”