rpiguy9907

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:10 am

A new and amazing port of Super Mario has been release for the C64.

Despite having fewer sprites, fewer colors, fewer sound channels and a much slower processor (NES was 70% faster) the C64 port is astoundingly faithful and overcomes all of the aforementioned shortcoming.

It even makes new colors by flashing two colors together too fast for our eyes to detect!

Demo play on YouTube

You will get occasional slow downs on a stock C64, but not on a C128 at 2mhz or TurboChameleon. It also supports twin SIDS for full sound channels.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:03 pm

Yes! Thanks for posting this.

I downloaded it yesterday and loaded it up on my C64 with a Turbo Chameleon. It is jaw-droppingly amazing and smooth. Is it perfect? No - but it's about 1000X better than any other port on the system that I've ever seen.
smb-64.gif
I read that it took the developer 7 years to create. An astonishing labor of love for both the game and the hardware. What a spectacular feat of engineering and artistry.

What's also cool? It auto-detects your hardware and adjusts itself on load. Simply incredible. So, if you load it into an C-128, it's one of the only instances where that hardware will automatically be taken advantage with its 2MHz of processing power.
Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 4.01.59 PM.png
This game makes me want to get a game pad (something I've never owned for a C64). I've been told that the Sega Master System is a very good choice.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:13 am

What a solid port! It plays well even on vanilla NTSC hardware.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Wow.... so much better than that old copy-cat garbage game, Great Gianna Sisters .

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:56 am

Aaaand its been DMCA'd by Nintendo and taken down... :(

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah, but it's out there and a ton of people got it. It shall survive for many years to come.

I'm tempted to host it. I'll just re-name the file as Great Giana Sisters PART DUEX and run with it! :D

UPDATE:
Actually the link is still on Lemon64, and it's still active.

Retroplay
Denmark

Posted Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:11 pm

So, any users here with an EasyFlash or 1541U-II cart ? ;)

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”