obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri May 10, 2019 4:22 pm

My C= 1960 monitor died last year, with high pitch whine and a starfield of pixels that faded to black. I really don't know much about repairing monitors or TVs (other than I know how to safely discharge the tube). I'd like to get this one back working, if it is possible at all. From what I have read, the flyback transformer is usually the point of failure. If such a part is even still available to purchase, would a failed flyback have killed the monitor all together, making a parts search useless?

Thanks for any input.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 11:02 am

I can't help you with the fly back sourcing issue. I have found that a lot of times there can be a significant amount of dry solder joints around the fly back to PCB interface. Reflow can renew this, however the high pitch whine is possibly an overloaded transformer line on it. I would consider those caps a contributing factor potentially. I've done a few 1980 and 1984 repairs-but in my situations, the flyback was not the culprit.

Toast.

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sat May 11, 2019 9:05 pm

There was a presentation at VCF East last week on the subject of CRT work. You might find it interesting:

Video Link

Return to “Hardware”