3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:43 am

Hello guys,

when The C64 Mini got released quite a while ago, I was not very happy with the result. It looked somehow cute and it was capable of loading up new games via USB, but somehow there was missing something... besides of a functional keyboard.

Now, Retro Games is about to release The C64, a full size replica with a functional keyboard. Whether this is just considered a toy, or maybe something meant seriously, I do not compare this new machine to the good old original, but I am willing to admit that it might have some potential.

Here's a first reveal video.

So, what do you guys think about The C64?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:46 am

I know a lot of people that are buying one simply because the price is so affordable. Neither the case nor the keycaps are compatible with real gear, but for a stand-alone product it's pretty interesting.

And who would have thought 30 years ago, or even 5 years ago, that such a thing would be reality in 2019?

I'm not personally in the market for one, but I applaud the effort. (At least, not today.)

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Intric8 pretty much summarized it for me.

:)

Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:28 pm

I'm meh on the idea from a personal level. However, there is a significantly healthy chunk of the marketspace for it. I dipped my toes into the FB group for the Mini64 and was surprised at how many people were digging that. It IS accessible to the "masses" who may not be as retro-computer savvy/literate, and that will be the target demographic beyond the active "retro" community at-large.

Let's just hope they get the joystick right this go around.

Its quite the novelty, either way and I'll probably grab one just for the giggles when the price falls down to Earth. Unless, of course, it has some amazing hackability beyond cute and functioning keyboard.

At least that's my take.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:12 pm

For the non-tech savvy person that wants to relive their 8-bit years, much like with those Atari/Colecovision/Intellivision Flashback machines...sure there's a market.

For me....not so much...unless like MrToast says, there's some kind of neat, as of yet unknown hack for it that makes it into something cooler.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 am

Thanks for your comments guys. I think I'll also grab one later on, just out of curiosity. However, I am also curious if the new The C64 with its fuctional keyboard will be capable of actually being used for i.e. programming or doing graphics, and if one will be able to save the created data on a USB drive.

McTrinsic

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:29 am

I would expect that some people will find out how to hack it. Think about the C64 DTV.

Lorfarius
UK

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:31 am

3D-vice wrote:Thanks for your comments guys. I think I'll also grab one later on, just out of curiosity. However, I am also curious if the new The C64 with its fuctional keyboard will be capable of actually being used for i.e. programming or doing graphics, and if one will be able to save the created data on a USB drive.
Yes, that's been one of the main pushes to use it like a proper C64.

rpiguy9907

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:35 am

Might grab one for the living room to further expose my kids to the c64 without fear of sub-five-year-olds ruining real hardware with juice, crumbs, and the occasional joystick tug of war.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:50 am

I did buy a mini and it surprised me at how well it works. They got the emulation pretty close. Although I have no need for a 64, as I have several already, I have had nothing but positive experiences with the mini. Of course you can deck out a rPi or use VICE on a computer. But this is the simplest solution and it works great. How much easier can it get just to take it anywhere and plug it in via HDMI?

As for the Maxi I will for sure buy one because 1. The emulation is good. 2. More USB ports. 3. Better joystick with microswitches. 4. NTSC and PAL support. 5. A keyboard! 6. The price is right.

I like the idea of not needing to switch my reloaded to PAL mode just to watch some demos. I can run them on the mini or the Maxi as that is all I ever need PAL for is demos.

So it has my vote. Hopefully they will have North American distributers again because I don't want to buy it oversees.

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”