Mr.Toast
Roseville, CA

Posted Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:40 pm

Yeah I agree with Acill, totally. This forum is a good rally point for a lot of the repair oriented folks as we tend to get lost in the noisy places. So its great to have folks like you, mattsoft, obitus, rpi-guy and others who don't mind the iron. I've gotten lucky by having access to the Abyss stock so that gives me some good opportunities to noodle with spares. We could be a force multiplier.

Lately I have been preoccupied with keyboards of all manner. Trying to piece together what I can from a bunch of damaged and neglected ones, get the rehabilitated and eventually into the hands of some folks who really need them. Each one is like a hazmat scenario though.

Toast (Chris).

Acill

Posted Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:25 am

The Abyss stuff can be scary. That reminds me too. I need some keyboard parts. I have three here I am attempting to make one good out of.

TjLaZer
Tacompton

Posted Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:35 am

I've had battery leakage on many different models over the years. I even had some minor leakage on some 3000's and 3000T's as well. I did a similar repair on my 3000's as the leakage was minor, and it was a success. The Amber circuitry was affected by one but after cleaning the area up and the chips, is working fine now. In my experiences the 2000 fairs the best with battery leakage, compared to the 3000 and 4000. Since the board is larger. Depends on how much is leaked and for hot long it has sit of course. I always warn everyone now to replace and clean up any leakage asap. On my first 3000T since it's vertical the minor leak ruined the motherboard. At the time I was lucky and found a spare motherboard on eBay that I was able to save as the battery had not leaked on it yet.

captainmoomoo

Posted Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:49 pm

This post is *exactly* what I need right now, as I need to repair some battery damage to my A3000. But... the pictures don't appear to be there anymore!

@RogerWilco486, any chance you could bring them back so I can also benefit from your experience?

moray

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:28 am

Hey folks!
In an unbelievable stroke of luck I just got an Amiga 3000UX (!!) and so I was just looking for this topic too for tips on cleaning and repairing the damage, pity the images are not there anymore.

The machine is in an unbelievable good state as it was well preserved by the previous owner and at a first look the battery didn't show any damage. Removing it though showed a spot of corrosion and then I noticed some corrosion on some components close to it.

I used some vinegar on the corroded spot, it fizzed a little bit. I then used tons of IPA and a brush. The solder mask on the spot came off just while brushing.

My next steps are to finishing cleaning up and use a fiberglass pen to remove the remaining corrosion, reflow some joints and maybe look under the socketed chips but they look very clean. Also I haven't removed the motherboard yet from the case.

I can post some pictures in the next days while I do this if you guys are interested, I also could use some tips :)

You can see some corrosion on C495 and R469, also on the vias on the left you can spot some green stuff.

dalek
Australia

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 am

Wow, that is really minimal to no damage. Lucky you!

moray

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:33 am

dalek wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:02 am
Wow, that is really minimal to no damage. Lucky you!
Yes I know! And the price was also amazing :)
I also noticed the solder joints of one of the two leds came off the pcb, probably they pushed the case too strong when closing it, but nothing seriously damaged.
One other thing I'll do is also RAM expansion, I wonder if static column ram is difficult to find. Also it seems that this has only 1MB of chip ram and the other chips that are usually set up as fast ram are missing.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:21 am

Wow, what a shame that all the pics from the OP are gone. If I remember correctly, A1K has banned the use of links to photos from hosting sites in favor of using the forum's direct "upload photo attachments," so maybe that could be implemented here to prevent the loss of valuable information.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:46 am

A1K has banned the use of links to photos from hosting sites
I'm not sure what was going on with the original post's images. I took a look and they were quite unusual, each link being the size of nearly a full page of text.

The AmigaLove domain host stopped allowing hosted content on other sites that were not "https" however the OG post was in fact pointing to a secure site - the links were simply broken. It's possible the author moved or deleted those files. Not really sure.

In any case, moray, I think I speak for the majority that - yes! - we'd love to see and follow your progress.

Return to “Hardware”