TommyE

Posted Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Hello

I´m thinking about buying a scsi2sd card for use in some of my amigas.
As they are quit expensive, I wonder are they easy to swap around?
I mean, say I have 5 SD cards, can I just swap the scsi2sd card around my machines with a new sd card formatted on that machine, or is there some config that is stored on the scsi2sd card itself that needs to be updated when swapping between controllers/machine?

Thanks
Tommy

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:45 pm

I've used several 5b versions on my Amigas, and as far as I know the board/card setups should be pretty machine agnostic. As long as your SCSI settings are the same from machine to machine, I imagine you can do what you're describing (if I'm reading it right).

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Older v5 cards save the settings to the card itself, if I remember right. So, it probably won’t work the way you’d like, unless you have identical SD cards, each partitioned exactly the same, with the same start and end sectors on the SD card in the scsi2sd config, and same SCSI IDs. V6 and the newer v5 cards (the bigger v5 — the original v5 card was much smaller and used microSD cards) save their settings to the SD card itself, in the last few sectors of the SD card. So that should work they way you are intending, provided you use the same SCSI device numbers across all machines.

TommyE

Posted Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 am

OK, thanks, so V6 it is then :) (or the newer bigger V5 as described)

Thank you so much for clearing this one up for me :)

Tommy

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 am

You should be fine with version 5 and above boards. The version 5.1 is perfect for Amiga and is cheaper than a V6. I have an older v5 short board that uses MicroSD and it saves the configuration to the board. So you will have no problem doing what you want with a V5.x or V6.

The main draw to the V6 is that it is faster and allows you to mount the SD card as a semi-USB to SCSI device on a modern computer. I don't think the Amiga can take advantage of that speed though which is why I only use V5 boards.

blindguy

Posted Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:21 am

I just got a v5.1 board form a guy in California and you can save the drive setup to both file and the device so you could have one setup for amiga 500 and one for Mac and one for Amiga 2000 but you would need seleratre SD cards for the undelying info.

Return to “Hardware”