BatteMan
France

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:13 am

I think, but not sure, it's permanently. You can choose the Kickstart in the menu...

I'll probably one for me next month, I'll tell you ;)

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am

IIRC, the HC533 should boot fine on 1.3 since it has its own autoboot rom on the card (either Oktagon/Octopussy or something else that you can select if you don't like Oktagon). At least that's how it works in my A500 that I have 1.3 on. It's an excellent card, in my experience with it over the last year.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:42 am

Hi Obitus1990,

could you answer the question if the KickROM functionality is permanent, as in a flash rom, or if the ROM is just copies for faster access on each boot?

I.e. can you store an image on the card and replace the machines rom?

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:49 pm

I hope I am answering this correctly, McTrinsic. As far as I can tell/remember from the time I installed it, the ROM image is on the card via a flash rom.

McTrinsic

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Thanks a lot!

Quite impressive.

I just wished there was an adapter to use these external cards in an 68k-socket.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:02 pm

McTrinsic wrote:Thanks a lot!

Quite impressive.

I just wished there was an adapter to use these external cards in an 68k-socket.
That is an internal expansion. It plugs right into the 68k socket. There is another card that has a similar name that is external but the one Eric linked to is internal.

-Kirk

Overmann

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Man, I love this machine! I had no idea how amazing "THE AMIGA" is. It really feels like a different thing then my day-to-day A1200. I'm playing around with Workbench 1.3.4, playing the demos and exploring the programs. Even the OS is so charming and welcoming. Aos 2 and up were so cold and to the point. No fun little extras.

My machine now has just 512kb ram and no HDD, but it's still a lot of fun, and the only time in almost 20 years that I've gotten that childhood feeling of playing with my Amiga :) I just had to share

BY THE WAY, I have a couple of nice dotmatrix printers that I would like to use, but the paralellport on the A1000 is just insane! Do you guys have a good solution for it? A genderchanger would still leave me with deadly 5v on the wrong pins.. The serial-port as far as I can tell just has the "wrong" gender..

A1-X1000
Toronto, Canada

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:16 pm

dansalvato wrote: ...
edit: As McTrinsic says below, ACA500plus doesn't officially support the A1000 and a few people have reported it not working for them. So it's a small risk to purchase one. Sorry, I forgot to mention this in the original reply.
Made a vid back in 2017 showing my A1000 playing nice with ACA500+ in my mancave :D

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:38 pm

@Overmann

If you ever use the serial port (e.g. a WiFi modem) you will need a gender changer for that.

And yes, the A1000 is gorgeous. The keyboard is one of the fines they ever made in my opinion. It's small but super solid. I don't know the exact switches involved (I think they may be a custom blend for the thing) and I'm not sure who even made them But they are mechanical no doubt. Very nice and quiet, very linear and easy to type on. It's dreamy.

Overmann

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:15 am

intric8 wrote:@Overmann

If you ever use the serial port (e.g. a WiFi modem) you will need a gender changer for that.

And yes, the A1000 is gorgeous. The keyboard is one of the fines they ever made in my opinion. It's small but super solid. I don't know the exact switches involved (I think they may be a custom blend for the thing) and I'm not sure who even made them But they are mechanical no doubt. Very nice and quiet, very linear and easy to type on. It's dreamy.
But the paralellport is the real issue, as a genderchanger is no problem. An adapter to make the paralellport useful is a bit more difficult. I've had about a week of searching now and I've found nothing.

EDIT: I'll just make an adapter :P
Last edited by Overmann on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hardware”