Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am

dawww.... Both of you.... Indeed, a round and a quick hug!

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:00 am

I swear there's a way to manually boot any Amiga into whatever kickstart you want. Because I never really cared, I never dug deeply into it... But much like I have a program that can switch PAL/NTSC modes, I believe there is a program that will somehow temporarily allow you the use of a kickstart disk on other machines... I know I've read about that somewhere... May have even come across the program but never downloaded it... Ugh... I don't know, maybe someone will say it's impossible, never done it myself... But I swear I've heard it can be done. Seems like it would be just for fun though, because once you shut down the machine you'd be back to normal.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:56 am

I think you are right. I don't know about the older Amigas but I do know that with an A1200 you can change PAL/NTSC very easily from the early startup menu. I do this all the time. On a 500 you can use a boot disk that will put it into PAL mode or NTSC. I think the 2000 has a jumper on the motherboard that can select PAL/NTSC but I could be wrong.

For kickstart there is Relokick which I used quite often with the 1200 as it allows you to soft kick into 1.3 and made a huge difference in game compatibility.

Now I just use an A500 with either 1.2 or 1.3 and that solves all compatibility problems for NTSC games and demos. PAL I use the A1200 and 1.3 soft kick at least for demos. Most of the demos are Euro so they run faster on NTSC but they usually still work.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:04 pm

For kickstart there is Relokick which I used quite often with the 1200 as it allows you to soft kick into 1.3 and made a huge difference in game compatibility.
I used the "most recent" 1.4a, but to be honest I never had much luck with it. If a game was giving me issues, the Relokick never solved it for me.

Ever since dropping to the 2000 (I say dropping because it's on WB/KS 1.3, which is a very different world than 2.0+) I've not had a single game issue. That being said, I almost exclusively play games that were made pre-1992...

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:29 pm

That's a bummer you haven't had success with Relokick. It definitely isn't a solve all. One thing I failed to mention is that sometimes, I found that you also have to go into the early startup menu on the 1200 and disable caches or something like that. But yeah if you have an A500 or A2000 then all those great games pre 1992 work fantastic. That is the best option.

I think there is also a program called degrader or something like that which also provided more options to degrade your newer Amiga to play older games. It is definitely a science to get it all to work right it seems. :lol:

Shot97
Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:50 am

While I would have normally glanced right over this... Curses to the both of you for making me notice this excerpt from the June 1988 issue of Amiga World.

Somehow their awful nearly unreadable background for this feels appropriate to me... hahhaha.... Nothing else in that issue is hard to read...

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:35 am

Jesus that looks like one of those mind numbing 3D prints from the late 90s where if you relax your eyes just right a tree will pop out of the page and throw a coconut at you.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:05 pm

intric8 wrote:Jesus that looks like one of those mind numbing 3D prints from the late 90s where if you relax your eyes just right a tree will pop out of the page and throw a coconut at you.
LOL! I had the same thought! I used to love those Magic Eye weird things.

In print that sidebar probably was ok, but scanned and processed, YIKES!

Return to “Software”