intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:08 am

Now that the massive upgrade is fully in place (most of which folks can't see, but trust me when I say this has given the site a new lease on life towards staying up to date for very long time.

That being said, I wanted to poke this feature set listing and see what some of you potentially value. I have my own inclinations but I'm curious your thoughts as well.
  • DONE Upgrade to a more modern version of site software that is fully supported (would require a complete site re-design)
  • Add “System Requirements” to Games Library entries.
  • [Sorta DONE for SEA-CCC, but not AmigaLove.com] Create a "Shop" where some t-shirts and mugs, etc could be purchased to help negate the costs to run Amigalove.com
  • Add site section: “APPS” (reviews with downloads; similar to games library format)
  • Receive Game Library comment notifications, reply functionality
  • Add site section: Complete Fred Fish Archive (could be part of APPS)
  • A True Home Page
  • Add search form to search results page(s)
  • Design member profiles to not be complete crap (doable now)
  • Auto-truncate really long URLs in desktop mode so Mobile Web layout doesn’t break
  • Create user “levels” based on participation (maybe)
  • Have a Games Statistics box on the Games Library home page to show #Games, Screenshots, User Votes with a top 10 games based on user votes/score
  • DONE User Notification system - e.g. “Bell Icon”. If you receive an email about something (maybe a reply to a post, for example) the site would show these as notifications.
  • DONE Ability to “Star” or favorite a post. Bookmarking functionality.
I'm leaning towards building out a Software section, personally. This would allow me to upload vast hordes of BBS/shareware/freeware I collect in some form or fashion. This is one of my personal favorite past times (it's weird, I know) and some of the stuff I've found is just so cool I'd love to store it online somewhere. Much of it is no where to be found.

I have nearly 50 disks from a BBS archive of pure text files: insanely awesome and a total treasure.
I have (soon to be) over 40 DevWare disks.
I'd love to see the Fred Fish archive put online in a much more user friendly format.
And every time I come across great or handy software (64 Door, A-Talk 3 in various upgrades, homebrew applications, etc.) it would be nice to put them somewhere besides a single topic post. And while an FTP server is nice, you have to know what you're looking for. It's not really a user friendly discovery tool.

I am not sure how I'd organize this and it will require some thought and definitely work/time/$. But I think it's kind of the missing link right now.

But what do you guys think? Is there a feature or product offering you wish you could find here?

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:52 am

Well if you think about webpages (homepage) is be interested in a curated Amiga webpage register. We could start with an overview of shops and service providers.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:51 pm

I like everything you have mentioned there. Especially the software section and PD/BBS and Fred fish type disks and software. There are so many gems from people writing software that are fun to explore.

A10001986

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:04 am

HI!

Small request: In the forum list(s), topics with new posts are highlighted in red. However, when I hover over them, that red changes to grey. Frankly, I find this very annoying, it defeats the purpose. Would you, please, consider changing that so that the red stays, regardless of mouse position? (Going further: The list is really big, so IMHO one does not need an indicator at all, by all means, so the light-grey-to-dark-grey-hover is not really of any help either. I find it distracting.)

Thank you.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:44 am

@A10001986
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I've got that working correctly now.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:14 am

Correction:
I got the top level working, but I still need to investigate the lower levels.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:28 am

OK I think I got it. I also made the icons more unique between read and unread states to make the differentiation more clear regardless of colors/hovers.

I'm tempted to make the icon itself take the color change and not the background color (and eliminate hover colors on backgrounds, too), which can be a bit garish if you've got more than a few topics to catch up on.

A10001986

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:18 am

Excellent, thanks a lot.

McTrinsic

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 pm

I like the halloween-ish banner ;)

Return to “Site News”