NeoHavic

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:51 pm

I grew up around my grandpa’s computers, seems he always had a new one he was building or fiddling about with. When I was about 9 (I’m 33 now) he gave me a box of old parts and told me “if you can build it, you can keep it”. A significant part of who I am I owe to him.

Growing up, we had a Commodore 64, Tandy something or other, every early Intel/Windows based system you could think of, the first family to have Internet... so when he passed, my grandmother gifted me whatever old components and computers he still had laying around. Most of it was older x86 based stuff, nothing particularly interesting. Until I landed on an Amiga 1000, along with a genlock addon, and some expansion modules for an Amiga 2000, all in the original boxes. I took them home thinking of them more as a curiosity (I was fresh out of high school at this point). Flash forward 15 years, and I still have everything as I recieved them, except now my interest in getting it up and running has been piqued. Going through all the old disks for it there was more flight simulators than productivity software, and all I could think was “yup, that was grandpa for you!”

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Hey NeoHavic! Thanks for signing up!

Would love to see some pics of your inheritance at some stage. Do you have a 2000, too, or just a pile of cards?

Where abouts in Cali are you? We’ve got members up and down the state. I was actually born in San Pedro. Lived all over LA multiple times, and the Bay Area for 10 years (SF and east bay).

Welcome!

NeoHavic

Posted Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 am

I’m in Southern California, about an hour outside of LA (well, assuming traffic isn’t horrible). I’m sure you know that struggle lol.

And no, I don’t have a A2000, just a SupraRam 2000 2Mb card and a SupraDrive kit for one. I was really hoping they would work for the A1000, dang it :/

And I’m hoping to get everything plugged in today to at least see if it fires up. I know I have a Workbench disk, not sure about a kick though. Plus I don’t have a mouse or keyboard for my 1000, so I’m not going to be able to test much. I’ll get some pictures if I do though!

oldbull

Posted Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:23 pm

Welcome!

We might be neighbors. Are you in the SGV?

I've also got an A1000.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:07 am

Welcome from Northern California! An Amiga 1000 is still on my want list, what a great machine.

Return to “Member Intros”