Hostile17

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:23 am

hello everyone.

i have fairly recently got myself not one but 2 A500's.

i had one as a teen back in the late 80's and have wanted to get another to recreate the setup i had back then.
an opportunity arose not to long ago to acquire 2 A500's.

both need some attention in the form of a solid clean and maybe some retro brighting.
but they do both boot to the WB 1.3 screens , and one came with a period correct 512kb ram upgrade card, which i have already removed the nicad before it can leak everywhere.
only one has a power supply. (i'm currently working to build a replacement)

one of them is a rev 5 MB the other is a rev 6 MB.

my hopes are at this stage to leave one machine fairly stock, and mod the other one with the now available accelerators and more ram gotek etc etc.

i will post pics and progress updates as and when i do things with these machines.
that might be a little while though, as im currently not sure if im moving in a few months or not,
and i don't want to get stuck into a project ad then have to move house.

i have no doubt that due to the long time its been since i actively used an Amiga, i will have loads of questions.

regards,
Jason.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 am

Welcome!

Australia is one of the places I'd like to see someday... its on the other side of the world for me.

You set yourself on quite a journey. Expanding an Amiga500 is a chellenging tasks as there are by now so many options its hard to keep track. Do you want the expansions to be all internal? Are external expansions ok as well? What is yopur limit? If you shoot too far (whoch you can easily) you might better be off getting an A1200 ... or an A4000 :) .

Keep us updated on your progress!

What did you do in the past with your setup? Gaming probably, but also something else? Coding?

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:21 am

Hello Fellow Aussie! I'm from Melbourne. Where are you from?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:47 am

Welcome!
one of them is a rev 5 MB the other is a rev 6 MB.
Does your rev 5 have a C= key to the left of the spacebar?

Would love to see some pics of your new ladies.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:08 am

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more about your A500s, such a great computer. And yeah I said computer not game machine like many people call the A500 and C64. For me it was always a computer in addition to a great system for games.
;)

Hostile17

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm

I’m currently living on the nsw mid south coast. A little place called nowra.

Neither of the Amigas have the commodore keys. They both have the black Amiga keys. Wishful thinking.

Back in the day I was mostly into games. And some bbs stuff. I always thought of the machine as a computer first. And a games player second. Even though it mostly was games for me. And mods (as in mod files)

I had a GVP HD8 back in the day with a whopping big 40mb hdd and 8mb ram.

I have already purchased an ACA500 plus for the amiga I plan to upgrade.

They both need extensive cleaning and the like before I can start to think about using them.

I have also acquired a meanwell PT-65B power supply and will 3D print a case for it so it resembles the original power brick.

I’ll post a pic of them as they were when I got them home.

And more as I get into them.

Thanks all.
89B25C35-6509-4257-BBC3-4332C9E3FE1B.jpeg
Jason.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Nice. I notice an aftermarket 512k expansion. Is that actually one where the battery hasn't leaked all over yet?
#VartaBatteryFromHell

You will love the ACA500+ it is a great device.

I was pretty much into the same things back then. BBSing, Mods, Demos, Games, Graphics, word processor docs and lots of printing labels.

Hostile17

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:06 pm

yes, the battery hadn't started leaking on that one. i have removed it and will replace it with a new one later.
it wasn't a varta, GP i think was written on it. it was reading zero volts as expected after that much time.
i wont solder in the new one until i am ready to start using the machines. as it will only go flat in the mean time.

i am really looking forward to getting into these machines and having some fun. playing the old games again, some of the old mod files etc.

Jason.

dalek
Australia

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:33 am

Welcome! I'm not too far away - just south of the 'gong ;)

Return to “Member Intros”