rpiguy9907

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:14 pm

After a long wait, PixelWizards has finally started producing the transparent C64 case. Previously you could only have gotten it from the Kickstarter.

https://shop.pixelwizard.eu/en/commodor ... ransparent

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 pm

I ordered one! Mine's currently on the way. I got the shipping notification today. I'm going to try it out with my MK2 Reloaded/Mechboard setup, which currently is sporting a cream-colored Kickstarter case.

I thought it might be cool with some of the new key caps, hell yeah! <3

obitus1990
USA

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:43 pm

I find it very hard to support Pixelwizard, even though I am tempted to purchase one. He's charging more than double what Dallas charged for his cases, using the same molds, and, it costs nearly $40 to ship to the US.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:05 pm

@obitus1990 that is 100% true, and I've read about and even seen quite a few defects in the plastics they've chosen. Like, very obvious dimples, marbling, etc. That being said, after seeing all of the hooplah about it online I started inspecting some of my own machines and - when it comes to the 64C - I've actually seen it on original cases, too. Not as pronounced, but I have caught defects that I never even noticed in the past.

But yeah, they cost a lot more. I lucked out a few years ago and snagged one of the Dallas/Kickstarter cases for only $24. And it's sweet. But dang the clear one looks super fine in the pics. It's the closest I can get a C64 to those clear Swatch watches from the late 80s, I think, which I just think is hilarious!

True story: I was trying to get the old blue Kickstarter case off Ebay, and it was going for $200! So, there's that, too. What was once a solid deal (probably break-even) has gone up in value 10-20X since then. Compared to that, Pixel Wizard is a bargain. And that goes for the clear case, too. When I'd find the old Kickstarter clear cases on Ebay they went for stupid money. At least this one isn't like that. That's the way I look at it.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:15 am

@obitus1990 and @intric8: I may spread some insight into this issue. The molds the guys from Pixelwizard are using are not the same ones as those being used for the Dallas campaign any more. For example: I know that the molds have been heavily modified, cleaned and optimized in order to process modern up-to-date plastics and to fit into the German-standard tool-holders of the injection molding machines. Since I have some work-related background knowledge in the field of mold-making, I know that such a refurbishing costs several thousands of Euros and can even go beyond 10,000 bucks easily.

Also, the costs for running such small batches on a mold-making machine are quite high here in Germany.

At last, they deliver their cases in finely printed and crafted boxes which can be used to accomodate a complete C64C for easy storage > another cost factor. And not to forget: This is a company who tends to realize profit > yet another cost factor.

Don't get me wrong. I do not want to defend those prices - they are quite high imho, but I can follow where they come from.

Where I totally agree to is that international shipping costs are insanely high.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 am

Yeah I would have bought 3 cases if it weren't for the high cost and exceedingly high shipping costs to the US. There is a note on another forum that CBM Stuff may carry them some day for USA buyers. I am sure they would be a good seller. Like I said, I would buy 3 right now.

JimDrew
LHC, AZ

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:50 pm

Correct, I have been chatting with Thomas about this. He wants keycaps and I want cases, so I am sure we will work out something. :)

Return to “Commodore 8 Bits”