Kamekone

Posted Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:11 pm

Overmann wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:43 am
Making a video showing the innards of the machine would be very helpful, or taking some more internal pictures. A lot can be diagnosed just by looking at the thing. But taking the Zorro-card out and having a look underneath is a good next step. Always roll back to stock, and that card is not a HDD controller. It does look like it has ZIP-ram on it (which might be causing trouble if bad) and it does look to have ports (possibly serial or parallell?).

I went ahead and dropped some money on those disks, in the time between my last post and this one a (specified to be working, hopefully) Floppy pulled from an A2000 went up for sale, so I got that too, and as soon as I get paid I certainly will get that SCSI2SD but for the time being I think I have a good amount of stuff on its way to really help out.

I also made a critical error of judgement with a question asked by the other user, the Floppy IS working, at least somewhat, the light flickers and it does indeed make a low click every once and a while.

I'm going to make that video tomorrow as soon as I get back from work and I'll be sure to post a link here.

Before I even get on any kind of paint job I'm definitely going to give the Keyboard and Mouse some Retr0bright, see if the beige wins me over with them maybe I might change my mind.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:18 pm

the Floppy IS working, at least somewhat, the light flickers and it does indeed make a low click every once and a while.
Call me optimistic but I bet a minor cleaning and you'll be good to go with that floppy. Progress!

Do you have any DSDD spare floppies lying around? It might be good to use a spare - and not one of your new WB disks - in testing things out first. Like, can you put an 880kb DSDD disk in the drive, right-click on your screen to activate the Workbench menus and format the thing, etc.

If so, I'd feel a lot safer about dropping one of your new disks in there. Some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol do a nice job in clearing dust out of those drives.

Overmann

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:52 am

There is stilla company in north-america refurbishing DSDD disks, so confirmed working, high quality disks can still be bought fairly affordably. https://www.floppydisk.com/

Shipping to Norway is very expensive however :(

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:16 am

I get all of my disks off Ebay. I buy sealed boxes in large quantities. When you go big, the prices plummet. The hard part is having the patience to wait and snag that one big box. It can take a very long time for them to show up. But they do.

Kamekone

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:56 pm

You two got a Discord? We could continue this there, it'd probably be more efficient.

Editing and Uploading the video now, will post a link here in a second.

Kamekone

Posted Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Update everyones been waiting for.

Pictures.

Video (do wait for Youtube to give it a good quality though).

Overmann

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:07 pm

Nice video and pictures!
Batteryleakage is not nearly as bad as it could have been, thankfully! You can still se a lot of foggy solderblobs, which while not dangerous really is certainly a sign of corrosion.
It's nice that the machine came with 3.1 kickstarts. And a little surprising how unpopulated that motherboard ram section is.

The Microbotics 8up card is a really nice memorycard, but it does not belong in an A3000. That's an A2000-card. It registers the memory in Zorro II space. The machine with perform much better with a populated motherboard. How does the machine behave with those two cards taken out? I still can't figure out what that other card is.

That certainly is not the motherboard of an A3000 that is beyond help. :)
AmigaLove really should have a Discord-channel. I'm on Discord though.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:51 pm

AmigaLove really should have a Discord-channel. I'm on Discord though
So guys I have a Slack. If any of you want to join, I can add you any time. If you have interest, I can open it up. I created it for my local Seattle Commodore Computer Club, but it has grown beyond attending members. And it's not 100% C= all the time. Everything is welcome.

I can even create a new channel inside it named "AmigaLove.com" or whatever for discussions you'd rather push over there for more real-time chat. There might even be a way for me to integrate it here somehow. Raise your hand and I'll invite your email I have on file.

Kamekone

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:28 am

intric8 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:51 pm
So guys I have a Slack. If any of you want to join, I can add you any time.
I've heard a lot about Slack, I'll download it and drop you a PM later after work,
privately I've contacted a person here stateside who can assist with the socket.

Sunshine on a Rainy Day.

After cleaning the Amiga did work for a bit so I memorialized it with this perfect picture but no using it just yet, need to fix it. Glad this thing isn't so foregone.

Return to “Hardware”