JazzyTech

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:29 pm

I think using vintage CRTs for our Amigas is great since it brings that original experience back in all it's beam-scanning glory. Personally I can't do this due to various reasons.
For example:
I'm in the US with European hardware. My NEC Multisync 6FG. It is a beast (80lbs...). Due to it's 21in 90 degree deflection tube it's around 3 ft.(!) deep and only can handle 220VAC @ 50 hz. The picture is amazing and all, but I just don't have the room for it. I had a look at the power supply shortly after I returned to the States and realized at the time that modifying it was well above my pay grade (sigh). A link to the US model: https://www.cnet.com/products/nec-multi ... onitor-21/

Originally I had 5 Amigas and 3 monitors. I was in the coin-op business and so had access to original video game monitors. When I needed a monitor I'd just connect R/G/B/sync/GND to a 23 pin vid connector and off I went. Inline 5 pole 3 position switch and flipped between the various computers as needed. Oh.. I'm sidetracking.. sry.

I know that the Amiga's native display isn't all that great on modern monitors, but for the time being, I'd like to at least be work with them as I gradually get them back on line.
Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I'm not sure how to get from Amiga's native Khz freq. to the digital HDMI/DVI/digital port world. One of my machines(A3000) is RTG capable (Thanks Picasso!) but, to be honest I'd fall out of my chair if that machine started and ran after 20 years...

I assume others have dealt with this in the past and I'm curious how you guys solved it?
I have access to a few older LCD 4:3 monitors which have 15pin D-Sub connectors, although I'd like to stick with more modern hardware if possible.

EDIT:
I did find these online, which answered my question to a degree:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?78 ... 3pin-conns

Still curious how other members have solved this? Or am I breaking the hallowed "Keep it Vintage!" mantra? :)

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 pm

10 minute retro cast did an episode on a component add on. If your monitor can take that signal, that might be worth looking at.

https://youtu.be/1fX5RYLmc2s

JazzyTech

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:56 pm

fxgogo wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:14 pm
10 minute retro cast did an episode on a component add on. If your monitor can take that signal, that might be worth looking at.

https://youtu.be/1fX5RYLmc2s
That's a nice option; much appreciated! I had a look at my current television and unfortunately it can't handle 240p, but I shouldn't have too much trouble finding an old one somewhere since component was quite common for many years.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:52 pm

Have you looked into the Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)? That should let you plug into pretty much any modern TV/monitor I believe. They aren't super cheap, but very high quality and can let you use HDMI video.

obitus1990
USA

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:01 pm

I use an OSSC as well.

JazzyTech

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 pm

Oh, I will definitely have a look at that since it's the simplest option for me at this time!

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:15 am

I'm happy with an Indivision (ECS).

RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

Posted Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:31 am

I have considered Indivision for Amiga but pricey for me and only to one specific Amiga. I have several Amigas and crts. I have used a GBS-82xx, but was lucky to get hold of a Chinese (or Taiwanese) TV Lcd that syncs nicely to most of my retro and Amigas. However, it is a used one from a thriftstore it had its abuse. The closest and newest I have so far is a Dell P2410 ( U2410 were more common) that syncs also with Amigas with no problems. I will probably lean towards buying the OCCS in the near future as the next general purpose video interface to LCD monitors.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:01 pm

I will most likely end up with the OSSC as well. I do however want to be able to emulate the CRT look on a modern flat screen monitor. Not sure if the OSSC can do this, I know I can with emulation, but we really need a hardware solution for this.

blindguy

Posted Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:34 pm

I have both a Dell U2410 and a Dell U2211H and I think the U2211H looks better than the 24 for just pluging in a 15 hz montior. This works well for games and such but forget interlaced.

I also have a couple of those SCART2HDMI little box things and those work just not as well as I would like.

How does the OSSC handle interlaced?

I have an indivision and that is the best if you want to use an interlaced desktop. Yes it is pricy and if using a 600 you actually need the 604n first but it just looks SO good and works with no issues.

I'm waiting for them to come out with the new version for the A1200!!

Return to “Hardware”