devnull

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:48 pm

Hi Everyone. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. Feel free to move this to a better location, or let me know and I can do it!

I recently came into possession of an Amiga 3000. A friend came across it cleaning out a storage unit of a relative and remembered me talking about how much I loved my Amiga 500 from the back in the day.

It doesn't have a keyboard or a mouse but it came with a Hatachi monitor I can barely lift. It appears to boot up fine. I don't really have the time or space for a new hobby even with as much nostalgia as I feel for this guy.

Someone literally wrote on the case "16/52mb hd", which I believe means 16mhz and, well, a 52mb hard drive. But I don't know what its specs are aside from that, or even how to figure them out. If it wasn't an Amiga, I'd probably just take it to the electronics recycling.

Should I list it for sale on ebay? Is there a better thing to do?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Marc

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:00 pm

@devnull

Where are you located?

Before you do anything - and this does not take very much time at all - I would recommend removing a half-dozen screens and sliding off the case. What you want to do is take a good look (and take a few close-up photos) of the VARTA battery. It will be a blue barrel battery and will be soldered right onto the motherboard. If you are facing the front of the machine, it will be on the left-hand side. Very easy to see if you don't have any cards installed.

Once you have that behind you, if you decide to sell it the value will be easier to assess.

devnull

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:12 pm

@intric8

Thanks for the reply.

I'm located in Boise Idaho. I've attached two photos of the battery and one slightly wider shot of the motherboard.

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0631.jpeg
IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0637.jpeg

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:31 pm

Wow. As far as battery leaks go that is one of the least affected I have seen. Couple snips and some clean up and it should be fine.

Now if you want to sell it without going through eBay then by all means, send me a PM with a price. I would not be interested in the monitor though as those are a bear to ship and still arrive safe.

If you want maximum money then by all means sell it via eBay as it will fetch higher then usually a forum will.

Man, why can't I stumble on an A3000 like this?!? 😉

obitus1990
USA

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Get a good pair of side cutting pliers and cut that battery out , STAT! It has leaked, as you can see a little bit of greasy looking residue near the vias and resistors, etc., at the bottom of the machine. Clean that off as best as you can with some white vinegar, then rinse and clean well with some 99% isopropyl alcohol. If you need help with anything, PM me.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:04 pm

That is one clean 3000 you've got there. Talk to Zippy Zapp first since he responded first in line. If it doesn't work out, please feel free to DM me. I actually know someone in Idaho who might be interested as well (and if he ain't, I might be).

=)

joethezombie
Twin Falls, ID

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:47 pm

Speaking of Idaho, that's me! Anyway, hard to turn down a minty 3000 such as this one, but I have plenty, and a spare. Someone else's turn to enjoy!

But I may be interested in the Hitachi monitor. What model is it? I'm somewhat local to Boise (work takes me there weekly), so no shipping required!

devnull

Posted Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:01 pm

@joethezombie it is the "large heavy monitor that nearly crippled me carrying it out of my friends garage" model.

Uhm CM812U is what is listed on the back if that means anything to you. If you're interested PM me and you can look at it next time you're in Boise.

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:17 pm

PM replied. My concern is shipping no matter how well it is packed the carriers today are brutal. If there is someone local that intric8 knows, that is the best option. I can wait longer for a local one in CA that can be picked up.

Thanks!

Return to “The Lounge”