rpiguy9907

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:04 pm

After seeing Intric8's last word processing review I decided to take a quick inventory of what is boxed on my shelf.

If anyone would like to see a review of any of the following let me know - the PC Word Processors will take longer as they often have plenty of set up and config to figure out:

A2 PerfectWriter
64 Trio Plus
PC Volkswriter Deluxe
PC PFS Professional Write
64 PaperClip
ST 1ST Word
64 Blue Chip Word Processor
PC Better Working 8-in-1
ST Regent Word
A2 Word Juggler
A2 Bankstreet Writer Plus
PC Wordstar COLT (Easy)
A2 Apple Writer //
PC Deskmate Q&A Write
64 Better Working Wordpro
PC WordwriterPC
PC WordPerfect 4.1
64 Swift Word Processor
64 WordWriter 3
64 WordWriter 4
PC MultiMate
A2 AppleWorks 4
64 Font Master 2
64 Omniwriter
PC Volkswriter 4
V20 Heswriter Cartridge
64 Heswriter Cartridge
64 Instawriter Cartridge
64 Quick Brown Fox Cartridge
64 SkiWrite II Cartridge
PC PC-Write
PC WordStar 6.0
64 Easy Script
+4 Script Plus Cartridge
AM Excellence!
64 Mirage Concepts WP Pro
128 Paperback Writer 128
64 PaperClip 3
64 Fleetwriter 3
64 SuperScript
64 Homeware Printed Word
64 Cut & Paste
A2 PFS Write
64 SwiftWord
128 Write Stuff 128
64 TOTL Text 2.6
64 The Tool
A2 Right Writer
64 HomePak
128 GhostWriter 128
64 Snoopy Writer
128 WordWriter 128
PC Webster’s New World Writer II
A2 WordPerfect 2.0
64 GeoWrite
64 SmithWriter
PC Display Write 4.0
128 Vizawrite
64 Writer’s Choice
PC Wordstar 3.3
AM Scribble
AM BeckerText
AM QuickWrite
AM ProWrite
A2 MouseWriter

This is just what I have boxed and readily visible. If you are looking for something you don't see here, ask as I might have it in storage or on a loose disk.
Last edited by rpiguy9907 on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpiguy9907

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:59 pm

Loose disks:

128 Jane
64 Bankstreet Writer
64 Homeword
64 Indus Estate Word Processor
64 Main Street Personal Word Processor
64 Kwik-Write
A2 Mastertype's Writer
64 Pocket Writer 3
64 Celery Word Processor
128 WordPro 128/S

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:09 pm

OMG there's so many here I've never even heard of.

As soon as I posted about The Write Stuff, someone told me they used "128 Word Writer" which is also in your list above.

He seemed to think it was on-par with The Write Stuff, so naturally I'm curious about that one.

I'm also curious about GhostWriter 128, and 64 Blue Chip Word Professor, which kinda sounds like educational software.

So many in that list - I'll have to look some of them up!

The real question is, though, which is your favorite? Pick a couple if one is too hard. And why?

rpiguy9907

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 pm

intric8 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:09 pm
I'm also curious about GhostWriter 128, and 64 Blue Chip Word Professor, which kinda sounds like educational software.

So many in that list - I'll have to look some of them up!

The real question is, though, which is your favorite? Pick a couple if one is too hard. And why?
The most fascinating thing is how bizarre the development history is for some of these...

Word Pro started on the PET, was rewritten several times by the original author, and then by another guy, and then licensed and updated for the 128 - it had a strange decade long journey - and there was little compatibility!

Quick Brown Fox started off on the obscure OSI 6502 computers, moved to the VIC-20, and then finally the C64!

TOTL text and I think Smithwriter forced you to write in 256 character chunks, because you know it is easiest array size on an 8-bit machine. They would then concatenate your 256 word chunks into a final document when you printed.

Several Word Processors are licensed and re-branded from other companies. You can start up a word processor and it will have a completely different name than what is on the box!

For example, Omniwriter for the C64 was rebranded several times and Ghostwriter 128 started out as Omniwriter 128. Omniwriter 128 was in itself I believe a further development of Vizawriter 128...

Screenshots on the back of the Ghostwriter 128 box still say Omniwriter 128, lol.

Mirage Concepts Professional Word Processor actually allows you set an 80 column edit screen at 320x200 using a 3-4 pixel font. It is amazing.

So my favorites? Well for 40 columns I tend to prefer word processors that don't scroll horizontally. I'd rather live with waiting for print preview to see 80 columns. It makes tables and such very difficult, but I cannot stand horizontal scrolling.

So for 40 columns it would be later versions of Paperback Writer (feature rich, very powerful) and Kwik-Write (slim on features but super fast).

I haven't yet tried all the 80 column choices on the C128. I just got a monitor capable of using 80 columns so I will be diving in soon.

Jane 128 is a 40 column dog of a strange word processor.

Blue Chip is actually just a rebrand of something else that they bundled in with their 1541 clone drives. It is not academic.

There is one academic word processor for the C128, Term Paper Writer 128. I do not own it.

It is available, boxed, here:

https://commodorecomputercenter.com/c64-128/software/

They also have Rescue on Fractalus.

BloodyCactus
Lexington VA

Posted Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:51 pm

I have boxed pc copies of some Timeworks DOS Office, WordProcessors and Spreadsheets. I think the Office version is the final dos versions collected of the individual Timeworks Word Wirter, Swift Calc, Data Manager et al apps.

They also did the apple/c64/c128 etc Word Writer family of apps.

My C128 MegaBit rom (in the spare socket) has Viza Write 128 built in, which is handy to have. insta-load.

good stuff.

dddaaannn

Posted Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 pm

That's an amazing list!

I'm curious to know how some of these professionally distributed word processors compare to SpeedScript, the inimitable word processor published in Compute!'s Gazette and so useful they kept printing it and extending it, including a book version. Any thoughts?

I'd love to see (or do) a comparative history of early word processor feature sets and interfaces. I have a boxed copy of AppleWorks and I was surprised by its power, its simplicity, *and* its apparent lack of editing features when I tried it for the first time. I wonder if there would be something compelling about a modern word processor for a retro platform that replicates the many subtle user interactions that are now table stakes for anything that edits text on a modern computer.

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:31 am

Incredible collection. Do send a picture of them all on your shelf.

McTrinsic

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:59 pm

@ ddddaaaannnn
Interesting idea.
That what I like about the CPRG addict. Puts things I to perspective.

It’s noteable, that George RR Martin still uses a DOS- based wordprocessor to not be distracted. Ulysses has the same approach I think.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:07 pm

Dan:
I'm curious to know how some of these professionally distributed word processors compare to SpeedScript, the inimitable word processor published in Compute!'s Gazette and so useful they kept printing it and extending it, including a book version. Any thoughts?
According to Robert Bernardo of Fresno Commodore User Group fame, he actually told me a few days ago:
I consider the Write Stuff to be a more complete version of Speedscript.
He went on about BB Talker, the SAM support speech program for BB Writer:
The BB Talker of the Write Stuff delights people! [when he demonstrates it]

Zippy Zapp
CA, USA

Posted Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Wow, what a collection.

I remember typing in SpeedScript when I was in High School. It was pretty good.
My dad swore by Bank Street Writer, which I still have.

I always like Word Writer. I have Word Writer 128 but I don't remember using it too much.

Return to “Software”