intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:18 pm

Hey Guys,

By this time most of us reading this right now have been sitting at home for what feels like a long time, and yet we're only just at the start of this thing. I wish I could see where the end of this disaster will be on the calendar. None of us can, and I know it's stressful for everyone. I'm so ready for this to be done. I know you all feel the same way.

If you live with family, this will be a time none in the same household will ever forget. And it does provide a lot more opportunities to share experiences and provide comfort to each other. If you're alone at home, I would recommend you check out Twitch.tv. There are lots of great streamers in both the US and EU that stream C64 and Amiga. They're all great peeps. (If you need help, I can share my favorites.) I consider some of these streamers friends even though we've never met. They're all great people not trying to gain fame and fortune, but create real connections with like-minded folks. If you're lonely, you can also PM me. I've also got a Slack channel I can invite you to which is full of my local (and some international) Amiga/C64/Retro friends. We chit-chat virtually every day about retro and sometimes current events, although that chatter has been more about blowing off some steam lately. Lots of very intelligent folks in there, some very close to the science of what's going on.

I'm thinking I might create a Twitch stream, too, to connect more directly with some of you, especially since we're all at home so much these days. It would not be regular or anything like that, just every so often. Do I really want to expose these crinkles and creases around my eyes to everyone around the world? I don't care at this point. When you get to be my age, it seems you always look older than you are or you feel and it's just the way it is. Work's just been so busy lately that if I do it will have to come later in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, hug your dog/cat/kids/significant other/self. We're going to get through this, and we should be smarter and stronger for it when we do. <3

McTrinsic

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:31 am

Actually I can offer you right now the opposite.
My wife and I are both working in some areas of healthcare.
My wife in a pharmacy, I am in a drug manufacturer.
Its driving us nuts. The obvious frenzy in a pharmacy is easily topped by our activities to maintain the production of medical need drugs....

grshaw

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:52 am

Thanks for the words of support intric8. I can also see weeks or months of confinement at home ahead. I have been working at home for this last week and I am already climbing the walls.

The UK is not in total lockdown but most things are now prohibited. Even the Pubs have been closed down. That is a pretty significant thing in the UK. :D The schools have now been closed so I'm at home with my wife and kids. Could be a lot worse. Under different circumstances, it could be just like a holiday. But this doesn't feel like fun.

I'd like to join the Slack Channel. That does sound fun. :D

I hope everyone stays healthy and this whole thing blows over quickly.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:02 pm

@grshaw You'll need to PM me so I can get some particular info.

sportbikepilot

Posted Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:29 pm

I work in the communications sector, in passenger rail transportation. So I'm in two of the "essential personnel" positions, which means I get to keep working.

In a germ infested environment.

The only thing worse would be a healthcare setting, and I tip my hat to those folks, indeed I do.

We're out here still... Grinding away doing what we have to do.

But I'm playing Amiga too... Worked with the A1000 this evening playing Lemmings, in fact!

Stay safe everyone!

Chris

codevark
Sutton, MA USA

Posted Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:30 pm

Hiall! Feeling better physically than I've been for a few days. Probably pulled a muscle setting up my wife's new work-at-home desk. :)

Best wishes to all! Stay safe, stay energized, and keep on blittin'! And eat garlic! And soup!

There's a new world a-comin'

codevark

fxgogo
Twickenham , U.K.

Posted Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:39 pm

This has helped us focus on what is more important in life. Hopefully as a planet, we will do the same thing. Readjustment is never going to be easy. It has helped me value my Amiga more. I have been quite focused on it, probably as a stress release, but boy does this system give me pleasure.

morningstar

Posted Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:13 pm

I totally agree with the previous comment
This helped us to open up our eyes to what is life and what life has to offer.

TweakBox Tutuapp
Last edited by morningstar on Mon May 08, 2023 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3D-vice
Germany

Posted Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:24 am

Happy Easter everyone!

I hope all of you are safe and sound. Enjoy those couple of days and don't let that virus thingy get into your minds too much. ;)

Return to “Site News”