intric8 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 pm
(Drum roll)

As of today, work has resumed. <3
... and?

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:16 pm

It's still on-going. And it's slow going. There is a section of this site which is hidden to everyone except a very small group of people working on the Rejuvenator. And work resumed in mid-December and in earnest in early January. It's all about the PAL decoding at this point and frankly the work and effort I see being done is quite inspirational.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 9.14.50 PM.png

DonP

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:43 am

Wishing the best for this project.

I've been running my A1000 with the Rejuvenator since the early 1990's when I spared no expense on upgrading.
2MB Agnus and other ECS chips
1.3 and 3.1 Roms with that ROM switching board (DKB KwikStart II)
Spirit 1.5MB expansion board
Sapphire Accelerator
Dataflyer with WB 1,3, 2.1 and 3.1 in different partitions.
CD-Rom

This setup runs rock solid - no death screens. I usually play Deluxe Galaga on it.

The one hardware piece of hardware I couldn't get to work was a Dillinger Accelerator with an 030 50Mhz and Math Co. It's probably best because it wouldn't fit anyways.

I got one of those adapters to run a USB mouse - what a life saver! Sorry, but tank mouse sucks.

I have a 1084 monitor but have thoughts of upgrading with a box.

Good Luck!

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 pm

DonP wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:43 am

I've been running my A1000 with the Rejuvenator since the early 1990's when I spared no expense on upgrading.
Sapphire Accelerator
CD-Rom

This setup runs rock solid - no death screens. I usually play Deluxe Galaga on it.

The one hardware piece of hardware I couldn't get to work was a Dillinger Accelerator with an 030 50Mhz and Math Co. It's probably best because it wouldn't fit anyways.

I got one of those adapters to run a USB mouse - what a life saver! Sorry, but tank mouse sucks.

Good Luck!
Quite the nice setup. It's amazing how much of the A1000's problems are solved with the Vampire -- RAM, CPU and Kickstart ROMs.

Chip RAM is still the worst part about owning an A1000 and the wait for a new Rejuvenator or one for sale is killing me. I'm working on an A2000 to A500 trapdoor adapter that also uses the 8375 to expand to 2MB of total chip AND would allow the use of the A314 in all the non-AGA big box Amigas.

I mean, imagine ... Amiga 1000, Vampire V2, 2MB ECS Agnus, Indivision ECS and A314 all in one box. Wheee.

The Amiga 2000 A314 adapter project: https://easyeda.com/Renee/amiga-a315
My Amiga Denise 180 adapter: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MoFmwGpa

walldog

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:46 am

DonP wrote:

Sapphire Accelerator
CD-Rom

Good Luck!
Don.. Been following this closely. My 1000 has that Spirit expansion... Does yours fit well with rejuvinator?

walldog

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 am

nonarkitten wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:56 pm
DonP wrote:

Sapphire Accelerator
CD-Rom

Good Luck!
Quite the nice setup. It's amazing how much of the A1000's problems are solved with the Vampire -- RAM, CPU and Kickstart ROMs.

Chip RAM is still the worst part about owning an A1000 and the wait for a new Rejuvenator or one for sale is killing me. I'm working on an A2000 to A500 trapdoor adapter that also uses the 8375 to expand to 2MB of total chip AND would allow the use of the A314 in all the non-AGA big box Amigas.

I mean, imagine ... Amiga 1000, Vampire V2, 2MB ECS Agnus, Indivision ECS and A314 all in one box. Wheee.

The Amiga 2000 A314 adapter project: https://easyeda.com/Renee/amiga-a315
My Amiga Denise 180 adapter: https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/MoFmwGpa
Do you feel the Vampire would work with the rejuvinator?

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:38 am

walldog wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:47 am
<snip>
Absolutely.

One of the reasons I left the Apollo Team was their neglect of the V2 and hyper-focus on the V4 Standalone (even it's "accelerator" mode was deprecated). The V2 was out of room and the AGA core they teased with the Alpha GOLD3 build (clearly confusing the terms "alpha" and "gold" here) already had to omit the FPU to fit. They had serious problems interfacing with on-board logic such as the floppy drive when AGA "takes over" as it's not possible for the CPU socket to see chipset DMA activity.

So, the Vampire will absolutely work in a Rejuvenated Amiga 1000. It will only work as an accelerator though (plus SD, RTG and Ethernet). To me this is next-to-ideal and you'd have a 2MB ECS system with 060+ CPU, lots of RAM and nothing on the Amiga is being "overridden". The only thing better would be an Amiga 1200 with the V1200. Then you have real AGA with real 060+ CPU power.

walldog

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:29 pm

nonarkitten wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:38 am
walldog wrote:
<snip>
Absolutely.

One of the reasons I left the Apollo Team was their neglect of the V2 and hyper-focus on the V4 Standalone (even it's "accelerator" mode was deprecated). The V2 was out of room and the AGA core they teased with the Alpha GOLD3 build (clearly confusing the terms "alpha" and "gold" here) already had to omit the FPU to fit. They had serious problems interfacing with on-board logic such as the floppy drive when AGA "takes over" as it's not possible for the CPU socket to see chipset DMA activity.

So, the Vampire will absolutely work in a Rejuvenated Amiga 1000. It will only work as an accelerator though (plus SD, RTG and Ethernet). To me this is next-to-ideal and you'd have a 2MB ECS system with 060+ CPU, lots of RAM and nothing on the Amiga is being "overridden". The only thing better would be an Amiga 1200 with the V1200. Then you have real AGA with real 060+ CPU power.
Thanks Nonar for response. I did not know you part of Apollo team interesting. This message very insightful. I am proud of the Apollo team work but I have to admit you touch right on a point I was a little disappointment with (I have no right to criticize however as their product is fabulous). I have the V2 and was expecting that AGA support (not going back and forth with alpha cores etc.) etc and may still get it but yes exactly all efforts boom right to the V4. I am not interested in a "stand alone".. To me then its too far removed from the hobby and Amiga. Now that's just me.

I have a V2 in an 1mb rev 6a A500... It was cool messing with Coffin and all that stuff but started to feel was losing something. It is now stored away and I am back to my A500 with A590 side car, wb 1.3 etc. and truly enjoying my old school experience. I think I want to stay in this realm now. So much so and getting back to the intent of this thread I would likely (albeit a toughy) trade my Vampire right straight up for a rejuvinator. Yep sure would. Call me crazy.

Now.. What sounds like a maybe.. If you had a 1000 with rejuvinator and a min of 1mb chip ram, Vampire with CF hard drive and the accelaration and RAM it provides you would have about the best 1000 that could be. Could even (correct me if wrong) could run good old wb1.3.. I would also want SCSI port so I can hook up my zip drive... :) I do believe you could still use 1080 CRT monitor.. Basically really good vintage Amiga 1000.. Yes my taste not for all and I respect that. Thanks for post

nonarkitten

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:07 pm

walldog wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:29 pm
nonarkitten wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:38 am
walldog wrote:
<snip>
Absolutely.

Thanks Nonar for response. I did not know you part of Apollo team interesting. This message very insightful. I am proud of the Apollo team work but I have to admit you touch right on a point I was a little disappointment with (I have no right to criticize however as their product is fabulous). I have the V2 and was expecting that AGA support (not going back and forth with alpha cores etc.) etc and may still get it but yes exactly all efforts boom right to the V4. I am not interested in a "stand alone".. To me then its too far removed from the hobby and Amiga. Now that's just me.
Me too.
walldog wrote:
I have a V2 in an 1mb rev 6a A500... It was cool messing with Coffin and all that stuff but started to feel was losing something. It is now stored away and I am back to my A500 with A590 side car, wb 1.3 etc. and truly enjoying my old school experience. I think I want to stay in this realm now. So much so and getting back to the intent of this thread I would likely (albeit a toughy) trade my Vampire right straight up for a rejuvinator. Yep sure would. Call me crazy.
Crazy ... like a fox! I agree, I also have a MMR and it's just as good for 99% of what I do. Sadly, the only use for 060+ is running top-bin AGA demos and 3D games that run better on a 20 year old Pentium anyway (and still run fine on my Quad core i7). And maybe compiling with GCC -- man that turd is slow. I think I'm going to switch to SAS/C for good. But while the performance is not TOO useful, the Vampire is nice for Ethernet, RTG and RAM.

But **ACTUALLY** for that, I'm liking the A314 much better. If feels "more right" than the Vampire and unlike a really, really fast 060, it also successfully bridges the performance gap from the Amiga era to the modern PC era. Of course, both is fine. Both is totally fine.
walldog wrote:
Now.. What sounds like a maybe.. If you had a 1000 with rejuvinator and a min of 1mb chip ram, Vampire with CF hard drive and the accelaration and RAM it provides you would have about the best 1000 that could be.
Yeah,
walldog wrote:
Could even (correct me if wrong) could run good old wb1.3.. I would also want SCSI port so I can hook up my zip drive... :) I do believe you could still use 1080 CRT monitor.. Basically really good vintage Amiga 1000.. Yes my taste not for all and I respect that. Thanks for post
Yes, WB1.3 can work on the Vampire -- the really nice thing about the Vampire's CPU is that it is faster than any 68060 but 100% code compatible with the 68000 (unlike any "real" Motorola chip after the 68020). You can actually kick the V2 into using the on-board ROM and ignoring the built-in pirated ROM or replace said pirated ROM with a legit version from Hyperion or Cloanto. My system is running AmigaOS 3.1.4 right now and you can do everything from floppy if you prepare the images ahead of time :)

McTrinsic

Posted Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:20 pm

Aren’t you describing the Phoenix board as a replacement/ successor to the a1000 board?

I wished someone would have started to update that to a 4-layer board, maybe adding a Buster. So that it can run more robust.

Put a decent accelerator in and you are in retro heaven ;) .

Return to “Hardware”