Amiga OS, Workbench and Kickstart, Utilities, Optimizations, Hacks and all things file/usage related
Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

by Tekk posted Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi,

been looking for a good tutorial on how to install and use shapeshifter on my 4000/040 18MB with RTG (ZZ9000) card. But thusfar I'm not able to find one. Does anyone here know howto go about? I have the ROMS.

Cheers
McTrinsic

by McTrinsic posted Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:25 pm

Is it different to e.g. a Picasso ??
Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

by Tekk posted Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:03 pm

Im not a hardware expert. The ZZ9000 uses P96. But that's not really the problem. The issue is getting the whole thing started. Now I found a German website with a tutorial. My German is pretty good so that's OK. There is a talk of using MuFastZero and MuMove4K. So I did an entry in the Startup-Sequence (before SetPatch QUIET):

C:MuMove4K PREPAREEMUL
C:MuFastZero ON

First of all - one of the entries complains that there is a lower version than v41 of the mmu.library on the machine. That's strange because in the shell (version mmu.library states "mmu.library 46.18". I installed that one with the MuTools which are configured/starting in the user-startup. (MuFastRom, MuProtectModules and MuLocklib) Strangely enough with the MuMove4K and MuFastZero active I get a message from MuLibs *yellow alert* that the mmu.library and MuTools should be run AFTER setpatch. I would imagine being in the user-startup it is... strange. Or maybe there is a conflict in theses programs. Something to do with stuff moving to FastRam.
McTrinsic

by McTrinsic posted Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:22 pm

The MuTools have a great FAQ and readmes.

You can easily install those libs by hand if you take a few minutes to read the docs.

Nice AmigaGuide texts, feels like browsing :).

On Shapeshifter, you might want to start here.

and browse through the subsequent docs, such as this.

from here.

Good luck :)

Cheers,
McT
Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

by Tekk posted Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:05 am

Cheers. understood from the guides the importance concerning the position various programs in the startup-sequence. Still I got the messages. Thanks for the help. I'll do a better indepth read :)
Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

by Tekk posted Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Well, babysteps. But i can't seem to get the mac booted. Tried different images but they end up with an error. Shapeshifter Filetask. Which I can suspend or do a reboot. Suspend will return to a gray screen with mac mousepointer and a little drawing of a mac smiling. If I reboot I get some weird behaviour of the 4000. Where do powerlight flashes and I have to do a shut/power down. Even after I start it up I get a Software Failure. I wonder if it has something to do with the CF Card being fragmented or something.
Bulletdust

by Bulletdust posted Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:54 pm

The biggest problem I've found in my attempts to get Shapeshifter running on my A1200 with 68030 is finding a System 7 or latter image that actually works. Cami used to have a good tutorial on EAB with all the needed files, but sadly that's gone (most likely Apple told them to take it down - 30yo hardware/software, pfft).

I can almost get a booting system, but then it crashes.
McTrinsic

by McTrinsic posted Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:12 pm

Well seems like you make some progress. Keep it up!
Once/when/... my Amiga works finally as expected I hope I can learn from you how to do it :) .
Bulletdust

by Bulletdust posted Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:34 am

I get this on boot:

Followed by this:

And for the life of me I don't know why!
Tekk
The Netherlands - EU

by Tekk posted Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:14 pm

Bulletdust wrote:The biggest problem I've found in my attempts to get Shapeshifter running on my A1200 with 68030 is finding a System 7 or latter image that actually works. Cami used to have a good tutorial on EAB with all the needed files, but sadly that's gone (most likely Apple told them to take it down - 30yo hardware/software, pfft).

I can almost get a booting system, but then it crashes.

It's on the EAB FTP server. Don't know the URL but there are some apple files in there.