halfbrite

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:12 pm

Thinking of partying with my Amiga 3000. What do you all think it is worth?
I bought this system used, here is what I fixed:
  • Had a leaking varta battery. I pulled the battery and board from case, cleaned everything up and installed a coin cel holder and battery.

It was only recognizing 1 meg of chip ram, but had 2 installed. Fixed with replacing 1MB with new set of 1MB chip ram.

It had 2 floppies installed, one was dead, and it has been replaced with a gotek.

I have the original scsi drive, but have a scsi2sd type device installed.

The flicker fixer circuit works, but has some artifacts that come across as horizontal sparkles and screen corruption. I have not bothered to try and fix it but it seems similar to this issue, not as bad though: https://www.tsb.space/knowledge-base/a3 ... djustment/.

Regular non-flicker fixed output works fine, so I suspect the memory chips for the flicker fixer service are bad. I may even have already bought the chips just hadn't bothered to replace them yet.
Specs
  • Fully Cleaned

Full Chip Ram Installed

Full ZIP Ram Installed

A3000 Keyboard

A2000 Mouse

Ethernet Zorro Card

Reproduction Picasso II RTG Clone GBAPII++

Soft Kick (Kickstart is stored on SCSI drive, early models had this)

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm

Where are you located? And I think photos of the exterior and repair areas will help.

If it wasn't for the video artifacting, depending on the aesthetics I'd think a range between $750-$2500 would be reasonable ($2500 and beyond entering the Ebay realm). The video issue is probably due to the previous battery damage. If you use a video card, do the issues persist (I'm guessing they don't).

halfbrite

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 pm

intric8 wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:15 pm
Where are you located? And I think photos of the exterior and repair areas will help.

If it wasn't for the video artifacting, depending on the aesthetics I'd think a range between $750-$2500 would be reasonable ($2500 and beyond entering the Ebay realm). The video issue is probably due to the previous battery damage. If you use a video card, do the issues persist (I'm guessing they don't).
The RTG card, everything is fine.

Also I was not to clear on the video issue. Using the older 15khz RGB port on the back of the Amiga, the video is crystal clear. Same on the VGA port if you don't enable the flicker fixer. It is only when the flicker fixer switch is enabled, and over the VGA port that you get the artifacting.

That is why I never bothered to dig deeper as I don't care about the flicker fixer as I have 15khz LCDs that work with VGA and the appropriate Commodore CRTs too!
Last edited by halfbrite on Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

halfbrite

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:34 pm

I should also add, when I removed the motherboard from the case and did the cleaning I toned out just about every trace around the battery area. Even when looking into the flicker fixer issue as well as the chip ram issue since I was not sure what it was at first.

Here is my original post on the motherboard repair.

viewtopic.php?t=2223

I am also on the east coast.

intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

Posted Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Ah, that's very helpful. Thank you for the extra info. So yeah - some pics of the case/keyboard and I think you're in super good shape to have this sold pretty much whenever you feel like it.

Return to “Trading Post”