Amiga hardware info, help and support with a focus (but not limited to) North American NTSC experiences. Open to all.
cbmeeks

by cbmeeks posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:59 am

Hello all. First time poster.

I have an Amiga 1000 I'm trying to restore. I am missing two pieces from the case. The cover for the front RAM expansion and the slim cover for the right-side expansion slot.

Does anyone know where I could purchase those? Or, perhaps, has anyone 3D printed either of those?

I'm located in the USA so shipping might be a factor too.

Thanks for any suggestions!
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:04 am

Welcome, cbmeeks!

If you go the 3D printed route, you can find the front cover here and the side expansion port cover here.

It's worth noting that in my own personal experience I tried printed versions of the expansion port cover, but the plastic has a very different flexibility. On my first attempt to install it, one of the side tabs flew off like a ricocheting bullet.

Also, these don't print smooth. If you're a perfectionist you'll want to spend some time sanding them down, priming them and painting them. (There are some over the counter Krylon paints that get very close).

It's a great temporary solution, though.
cbmeeks

by cbmeeks posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks for the links!

I don't own a 3D printer but I think my local library does.

You're right about the surface of 3D printing. I'm not really a purist but if I could see the ridges then that would bother me. So I'd probably have to sand it down.

Thanks!
RizThomas
Surrey, BC, Canada

by RizThomas posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:03 pm

I lent my A1k front cover ( for the RAM expansion) and side cover to a C64Lemon forum member who does 3D printing of most C64 stuff so he can have exact dimensions ( even though I didn’t need one). It stayed with him for a year and half until I asked for them back. The deal was he will give 1 copy...but never materialized. I guess he did not have enough users asking for it. Good thing I got them back...I told him my A1K looked Naked without them covers.