Discuss your latest vintage Amiga finds!
rpiguy9907

by rpiguy9907 posted Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:11 am

intric8 wrote:@rpiguy9907

What is the S/N on the bottom of your A500?

Made in Germany.
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:31 am

I’m starting to wonder if the C= key editions were German-only.
rpiguy9907

by rpiguy9907 posted Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:54 am

intric8 wrote:I’m starting to wonder if the C= key editions were German-only.

According to Deskauthority the C= key was only ever on Amiga 500's with the fully mechanical "Space Invader" (Hi-Tek) keyboards. I can attest that these are wonderful to type on.

https://deskthority.net/wiki/Commodore_Amiga_500

If your Amiga 500 has the standard Mistumi/Samsung keyboards then it would not have the Commodore key.

So to get a C= key you need to have not only an early Amiga 500, but specifically one manufactured before the cost-reduced keyboard was introduced.

Also it is entirely possible that your Amiga 500 had the Space Invader keyboard but the keyboard was later replaced with the Mitsumi model as both fit. The Space Invaders are really finicky to clean and I imagine if something went wrong it was just cheaper for the service rep to replace it with the newer keyboard.
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:27 pm

I wonder if the embossed C= had the A key if it was a US model, and the C= key if it was German. But I have no idea.

If I popped off a key, would it be easy to identify the kind of key switches mine has? Maybe that would help solve this mystery.

FWIW, this is from the same man's estate with the funky below-A500 FDD and PSU wackiness. (Which I want to show you guys soon.)

Worth noting that the example on that site is indeed a German one - with embossed serial number on the bottom! IIRC mine is a sticker. I'll take some pics tonight to show you and compare.
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Looks like if I pop off a key and see one of these, then the mystery should indeed deepen, right?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 2.27.38 PM.png
rpiguy9907

by rpiguy9907 posted Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:03 pm

intric8 wrote:Looks like if I pop off a key and see one of these, then the mystery should indeed deepen, right?

Awesome you got one of the good keyboards! They are so great to type on. I guess the mystery does indeed deepen. My Amiga 500 has the embossing and the sticker like shown on Deskauthority.

I will forever be grateful for Commodore's brief moment in the sun, which changed my life, but man the more you realize how chaotic and undisciplined they were it is mind boggling.
intric8
Seattle, WA, USA

by intric8 posted Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:12 pm

No, that was a screenshot from the resource you provided. I have the 2nd-stage keyboard apparently.

I took pics last night. Here we go!

IMG_2483.jpg
Hello, embossed 500. It's not yellow at all, despite this photo's bad sensor in a dim room.

IMG_2482.jpg
Flipping it over, you can see mine was made in the USA. (!) S/N below 25K, and gotta love that QA sticker held on with a piece of scotch tape!

IMG_2484.jpg
Removing a keycap, this is what my A2000 keyboards are like. This is not the HiTek keyboard. But it feels good IMO (it's what I'm used to).

IMG_2485.jpg
This case has never been opened. The machine did have a .5MB in the trapdoor, and a VARTA (nooo!). But! This board had been wrapped in a triangular "envelope" of solid metal, so the battery never was able to leak on anything at all. Probably an over the top early F.C.C. precaution for interference BITD. (Thank goodness!)
rpiguy9907

by rpiguy9907 posted Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:14 pm

if I ever write a fantasy/sci-if novel the main protagonist will be Varta the Destroyer. Glad you dodged that bullet.